Many solutions depend heavily on functionality like search-based landing pages. This topic suggests ways to keep your site working, should the Optimizely Search & Navigation service become unavailable.
You should count on the reliability specified in your service level agreement (SLA). Nevertheless, as search is a central part of a solution, you should implement a graceful degradation strategy if the Search & Navigation service should become unavailable.
Note: If Optimizely is not hosting Search & Navigation, Optimizely cannot guarantee the connection between an application and the Search & Navigation service.
Recommendations for coping with downtime
Leave the search-generated page sections blank
For example, a page displays a list of most watched products, which is fetched from Search & Navigation. If Search & Navigation is down, display a blank list.
- Simple to implement.
- Site does not display expected information.
Implement query caching
- Relatively simple to implement.
- Site still works in many scenarios even if Search & Navigation is down.
- Development effort required.
Use FindPagesWithCriteria as back-up
- Site works even if Search & Navigation has issues.
- Takes longer to implement.
- Site significantly slower.
Last updated: May 08, 2019