This topic provides a summary of the main breaking changes for Episerver Commerce 14 in relation to the previous major version (13).
Breaking changes overview
Commerce Admin user interface replaces Commerce Manager
The Commerce Administration view is an administrative application replacing the legacy Commerce Manager administration back-end system. The new user interface, developed from scratch using the latest tools and technologies, provides a unified and improved user experience.
The new Admin view provides support for working with markets, warehouses, catalog indexing, tax configuration, shipping, and payments.
Due to the removal of Commerce Manager, the following tasks are now managed through the API:
- Importing and exporting catalogs, see Importing catalog data.
- Adding countries and regions, see Countries and regions.
- Adding currencies, see Currencies.
- Working with business objects, see Object configuration.
- Working with catalog and order meta classes fields, see MetaType class.
Also, the Mediachase.BusinessFoundation assembly has been removed as it was mainly used to support Commerce Manager.
Support for the various configuration files in the Configs project folder has been removed. The functionality has been replaced with the use of Options classes, where you can configure settings in the appSettings file, or use the ConfigureServices of the Startup class to override default values for Options. This provides a unified way of configuration methods in ASP.NET Core. See Option configuration classes.
Membership Provider not supported
Mediachase.Commerce.Plugins.Payment has been removed since it does not support AuthorizeNet, the library is no longer supported in ASP.NET Core.
Support for payment providers PayPal, DIBS, Datacash, and giftcard has been removed, see Payments. The CreatedCardPayment class has been marked as obselete, and will be removed in a future version. It is strongly recommended that you ensure to adopt a PCI compliant solution for managing payments in your project.
Solr search providers not supported
Support for Mediachase.Search.Solr35SearchProvider and Mediachase.Search.SolrSearchProvider packages has been removed. As a replacement, you can use the LuceneSearchProvider or FindSearchProvider. There is in-built support for FindSearchProvider in the Optimizely DXP cloud service environments. See Search.
OleDb import parser removed
The Mediachase.MetaDataPlus.Import.Parser.OleDbIncomingDataParser has been removed, and parsing of files using OleDb connection is not supported. CSV and XML data parsers are still supported.
UserTimeZone not supported
The UserTimeZone functionality has been removed from Mediachase.BusinessFoundation.Data to avoid dependency on Windows OS.
Webservice support for catalog system removed
It is no longer possible to access the Catalog subsystem via webservice calls.
Syncronous execution of events
The following changes have been done:
- ReportingOrderEventListener will execute the listeners synchronously, instead of in a background thread.
- On MetaDataChanged events, the synchronization with the content type model repository will be done synchronously, instead of in a background thread.
Binary serialization not supported for ASP.NET Core types
Some ASP.NET Core built-in types are no longer binary serializable, see Binary serialization for full list. NumberFormatInfo is one example. Since serializable Commerce types like Money and Currency use NumberFormatInfo, it means these become unserializable as well. This is considered a breaking change for solutions that rely on binary serialization of these types, meaning that probably SerializationExceptions will be thrown.
- The obsoleted Mediachase.Commerce.Engine.Template and Mediachase.Commerce.Engine.Image have been removed.
- Since HttpModules are not supported in .NET core, EPiServer.Business.Commerce.HttpModules.ProfileModule has been removed.
- The upgrading migration steps MigrateAdminsRoleStep, PopulateUserPermissionStep, and UpdateContactUserIdStep have been removed, and you should upgrade your solution to Commerce version 13, before upgrading to v14.
To make upgrading easier, there is an upgrading tool available, see Upgrade assistant.
- Binary serialization
- Introduction to ASP.NET Identity
- Configuration methods in ASP.NET Core.
- Migrate from SQL membership to ASP.NET identity
Last updated: Jul 05, 2021