Don't miss out Virtual Happy Hour this Friday (April 26).

Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Custom editor for categories

Vote:

Hi,
Im looking to implement a custom editor for the episerver CategoryList type.

There are examples out there (i.e http://krompaco.nu/2013/05/dropdownlist-category-picker-in-episerver-7/) but they all seem to use the Episerver Widgets SelectionEditor.js and others. 
I think I will need to create my own widget as it's gonna be kind of a "checked multiselect".

My question is what would be the preffered way of passing all the categories in the system to the widget client script and then looping them?

Thanks!

Jun 10, 2014 22:06
Vote:

Could you describe what you would like to do with your CategoryList editor?

If you're using the epi-cms/contentediting/editors/CheckBoxListEditor (or the new SelectMany attribute in 7.5), you'll only get a list of checkboxes without any visualization of the nested structure found in the categories.

Jun 10, 2014 22:51
Vote:

I created a quick mock up image to illustrate what I want to achieve.

One or many "Leaf categories" is choosable and when selected their parents will also be chosen (but the parents can't be chosen alone).

Mockup image

Edited, Jun 11, 2014 9:26
Vote:

Ah and I guess you want it directly in the forms mode instead of being an overlay as it is today?

The current Category Selector fetches the first level of the categories as a json:

{} && [{
    "id": 2,
    "name": "Meet",
    "description": "Alloy Meet",
    "hasChildren": true,
    "visible": true,
    "selectable": true,
    "parentsNameCollection": [null, "Alloy Meet"]
}, {
    "id": 3,
    "name": "Plan",
    "description": "Alloy Plan",
    "hasChildren": false,
    "parentsNameCollection": [null, "Alloy Plan"]
}, {
    "id": 4,
    "name": "Track",
    "description": "Alloy Track",
    "hasChildren": true,
    "parentsNameCollection": [null, "Alloy Track"]
}]

When opening the second level, the Category Selector retreives all the children for that level:

{} && [{
    "id": 5,
    "name": "MeetChild",
    "description": "Child to Alloy Meet",
    "hasChildren": false,
    "parentsNameCollection": [null, "Alloy Meet", "Child to Alloy Meet"]
}]

I guess the ajax requests would be the reason it's a dialog.

So my impression is that it would be best that your custom editor is feeded with the entire category tree and lets the javascript sort everything out.

Edited, Jun 11, 2014 10:08
Vote:

Yes I would like to display it in the forms mode directly.

Im new to Widget creation. How would you feed the javascript with the category tree? Would you set up a service that the Widget requests with Ajax or can I pass the JSON from Epi in some other way?

Jun 11, 2014 10:33
Vote:

Dojo and how EPiServer works with dojo is not my strong suit. Linus Ekström has a blog post on dojo widgets that might help:

http://world.episerver.com/Blogs/Linus-Ekstrom/Dates/2012/7/Creating-a-custom-editor-for-a-property/

Jun 12, 2014 10:55
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.