Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Access Rights - Hierarchical Groups

Vote:

Let's say I have a group "Parent Group". It has a sub group "Child Group". If I have a user, who is a member of "Parent Group", why is User.IsInRole("Child Group") == false?

Is there any way to "Set Access Rights" on a page such that group rights bubble? I would expect that a user who is a member of "Parent Group" would have access to any page which is set to allow Read access to "Child Group" but this does not appear to be the case. 

Sep 05, 2014 7:54
Vote:

It should work, se here: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8261737/web-app-active-directory-user-roles-vs-user-isinrole

Check that Child Group is a securitygroup otherwise it might not work

Sep 05, 2014 8:09
Vote:

On further investigation I can see that I had it around the wrong way. A child group is considered a member of it's parent groups (recursively) - parent groups are not members of their child groups.

Sep 08, 2014 6:10
Vote:

Hmm, I did not see that when I read, but that is true.

Great that it works!

Sep 08, 2014 7:44
This topic was created over six months ago and has been resolved. If you have a similar question, please create a new topic and refer to this one.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.