Don't miss out Virtual Happy Hour this Friday (April 26).

Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Advantage of running Episerver on MVC instead of Web Forms

Vote:

Hi all

we have a solution that we would like to upgrade to MVC instead of Web Forms and we are well aware of all the technical advantages we will get but that does not act as a argument fully for the customer. 

Do you have any "feature based" reason what we can use when talking to our customer why they should upgrade? 

One example is Episerver forms, it runs only on MVC and that is a good one, but do we have any more similar reasons we can could use :)? Just give us all reasons you can think of :D! 

And as i said, we know about all the other good reason why choosing mvc :=) 

Thanks for all the input. 

May 14, 2018 21:10
Vote:

One of the reasons is that Commerce after 12.0 will not be tested with Web Forms. Well - you might not be using Commerce in this project, but it's good to know, I suppose. By "not tested", I mean that i might still work, but we no longer guarantee that, and won't fix any Web Forms-specific bugs.

MVC is the way forward so I don't see any reason why not to :) 

May 14, 2018 21:25
Vote:

ok, is similar planned also for the CMS?
Because that would be a very good reason. 

Also im not looking for reason to stay on web forms :), we really want to move the platform to MVC but we need more arguments in form of "we will be able to do this cooll stuff if be upgrade" just give the cusotmer all the reason we see is not enought. They want more, for example what new feature would they be able to implement that are not possible with web froms.

Episerver Forms is one of them but we need more :)

May 15, 2018 9:04
Vote:

Moving to MVC would make a transition to .NET Core possible when Epi supports it fully.

Then again the argument could be to not port Web Forms sites to MVC until then cool

May 19, 2018 22:23
Vote:

Mvc has slightly smaller code footprint (less symbols) - makes readability better.

May 20, 2018 19:37
Vote:

Other good reason generally of web forms and MVC:

• MVC is quite easier to learn and easier to understand
  • MVC is being built with consideration of performance and many extra process for view state and related stuff is being removed
  • Easier to use automated test - generally speaking and case by case is different
  • More reusablility
  • MVC is very good fit for Episerver approach - good separation of conern and easier for decoupling (this is very important Episerver!!!)
  • Make HTML integration easier than webform
  • MVC is more javascript friendly (no weird names for dom elements and rendering is more front-end friendly!)
May 21, 2018 5:55
Vote:

As Quan said earlier right now Commerce will not test their solution on webforms and I will think that this could also happen to CMS part.
So, see it as future-proofing the solution

May 21, 2018 10:39
Vote:

thank you for all the answers :)! 

May 23, 2018 12:58
This topic was created over six months ago and has been resolved. If you have a similar question, please create a new topic and refer to this one.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.