Don't miss out Virtual Happy Hour this Friday (April 26).

Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

TinyMce custom settings. Addsetting( ) with callback

Vote:

Hi,

When configuring tiny we can customize it like this

context.Services.Configure(config =>
{
    config.Default()
        .AddSetting("media_dimensions", false);
});

But how do I configure if I want to customize an callback for exampke color picker?

In JS:

tinymce.init({
  selector: "textarea",  // change this value according to your HTML
  plugins: "textcolor colorpicker",
  toolbar: "forecolor backcolor"
  color_picker_callback: function(callback, value) {
    callback('#FF00FF');
  }
});

In C# ? 

context.Services.Configure(config =>
{
    config.Default()
        .AddSetting("media_dimensions", false)
        .AddSetting("color_picker_callback", );
});

I tried returning an javascript function as string for "color_picker_callback" but the TinyMce editor is then throwing an error. I guess it wont work to return an javascript function as a string, since it wont work to set values as "true" or "false" as strings.

Edited, Sep 17, 2018 14:00
Vote:

Is your solution on Episerver 11 with the latest TinyMce nuget package?

In that case you can try this one: https://www.tiny.cloud/docs/plugins/colorpicker/

If not I would recommend upgrading to Episerver 11 first and then doing the adjustments in TinyMce. :)

Edited, Sep 20, 2018 12:01
Vote:

@Goran, he is using the new TinyMCE version 2.x and he wants to be able to pass the JavaScript function callback to the initialization configuration. The problem is that if using the AddSetting the function is passed as a string not a JavaScript function so it will not work.

Sep 20, 2018 19:28
Vote:

Hi Joakim,

I'm not sure, but maybe you could use InitializationScript?

config.Default()
    .InitializationScript("alloy/advancedTinyMCEConfig");

In this case, the initialization function should be place under ClientResources/Scripts folder. The initializer has settings parameter. Example implementation:

define([], function () {

return function (settings) {
        console.log("initialize TinyMCE advanced config");
        return Object.assign(settings, {
            myCallback: function () {}
        });
    }
});
Sep 21, 2018 8:43
Vote:

Nice idea from Grzegorz, worth a try.

Yesterday I played a bit around using JRaw, no success. Same with having a custom converter. The problem is that it will blow up when deserializing the settings as the function is writen with raw so it will try to parse it as boolean (anyways, it is kinda wrong to try to serialize javascript functions into JSON, but that is a nother discussion :D).

Sep 21, 2018 8:50
Vote:

The InitializationScript should solwe the problem with passing callback arguments. As you mentioned it's hard to serialize the function, that's why you should try the InitializationScript. Let me know if it's working.

Sep 21, 2018 9:26
Vote:

What better way to spend saturday when it is raining outside than play around with Episerver.

I can confirm that the suggestion by Grzegorz works.

define([], function () {
    return function (settings) {
        return Object.assign(settings, {
            color_picker_callback: function (callback, value) {
                // add custom color
                callback('#839192');
            }
        });
    };
});

Edited: I initially thought you would return multiple colors from this but re-reading the TinyMCE documentation I believe this is the place where you would show your custom color dialog and then return the selected color from that.

If you just want to have custom colors, then I think you should use the textcolor_map.

Edited, Sep 22, 2018 10:09
Vote:

Thank you guys for all your help. This works really good!

Sep 25, 2018 9:25
Vote:

While this is resolved with the above solution, I wanted to share how I did this in C# using AddSetting() in the default configuration.

I created an initialization module based on EPiServer's documentation [https://world.episerver.com/documentation/developer-guides/CMS/add-ons/customizing-the-tinymce-editor-v2/default-settings/

• I created a 2 dimensional array for my custom colors 
    • alternate HEX value and color name
      • first string is the HEX color (no prepended #, just the HEX value)
      • second string is the color name

Custom Color Array

string[][] customColors = new string[][]
     {
          new string[] { "004fa3"},
          new string[] { "Blue"},
          new string[] { "FFFFFF"},
          new string[] { "White"},
          new string[] { "303030"},
          new string[] { "Smoke"}
     };
  • Then in the default configuration (or a clone)
    • in .AddPlugin(), include textcolor
    • in Toolbar(), include forecolor backcolor
    • add an AddSetting() with 2 items, the first is "textcolor_map" and the second is the variable for the array of colors, in my example: customColors

Default Configuration

config.Default()
      .ContentCss("/static/css/wysiwyg.css")
      .AddSetting("extended_valid_elements", "a[*|onload|onClick|rel|aria-label]")
      .AddPlugin("epi-dnd-processor epi-link lists textcolor contextmenu image imagetools epi-image-editor link")
      .Toolbar("epi-link unlink anchor image epi-image-editor | forecolor backcolor | searchreplace", "bold italic underline sup sub | alignleft aligncenter alignright | nonbreaking fullscreen")
      .AddSetting("image_caption","true")
      .AddSetting("textcolor_map", customColors)
      .EnableImageTools();

Hope this is helpful for those that want to keep it in the default config or a clone of it.

Edited, Mar 08, 2019 15:20
This topic was created over six months ago and has been resolved. If you have a similar question, please create a new topic and refer to this one.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.