Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Enterprise Configuration Issues in authentication

Vote:

Hi all,

Just read an SDK article about Membership and Role providers. Last chapter is about Enterprise issues, http://sdk.episerver.com/library/CMS5/Developers%20Guide/Membership%20and%20Role%20Providers.htm?id=24871

"If you are using the SQl Server membership/role provider and want to use the same set of users / roles for all sites using the same web.config files (probably the most common scenario), you need to use a separate database for the user/role information." 

I understood this scenario is about having one CMS 5 R2 installed and multiple sites set up in IIS and also configured in the web.config. Could someone clarify why and when is this separate database needed ? I might understand this if there was multiple installations and web.configs and then both sites needs to point to the same database... what did I miss here :-)

Thanks in advance !

/Esa

Apr 07, 2009 15:03
Vote:

Hi Esa,

You're right. There is no need for a seperate database for the sql member and role provider. You can place these tables in the episerver db as usual. We will update the documentation accordingly.

May 14, 2009 10:44
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.