Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Can EPiServer do search result biasing?

Vote:

Is there any ability to bias search results?  We have results coming back from a full-text search where pages that have the search term deep in a 2,000-word page body are ordered before pages where the term is directly in the PageName.

Alternately, does the system use the word count?  On the tblKeywordPages table, there's a column for how many times the term appears in the page.  Does the system use this to order results? If it does, I'm wondering if, on publishing, I can duplicate the PageName 4-5 times in some hidden, searchable property, therefore boosting the term's word count whenever it appears in the PageName.

Aug 30, 2010 16:05
Vote:

You could boost the the word count by using a hidden property like you suggest, but the effect will be limited. The EPiServer search algorithm works against you by lowering the weight (importance) of the search word as the count increases. But, even after this adjustment, it's bound to have a boosting effect :)

Full details on the weighting system here

Aug 31, 2010 10:55
Vote:

Allan has written a post about how to "cheat the search ranking", that might help: http://labs.episerver.com/en/Blogs/Allan/Dates/112230/8/Pimp-up-your-search-II/

Aug 31, 2010 12:11
Vote:

Frederik: Allan's method seems like a manual version of the method I had planned on.  We'll give it a try and see how it works.  I'll report back.

Aug 31, 2010 15:42
This topic was created over six months ago and has been resolved. If you have a similar question, please create a new topic and refer to this one.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.