Don't miss out Virtual Happy Hour this Friday (April 26).

Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Problems with Create an Epi Site from scratch, at home

Vote:

Iam trying to follow the guide Create an EPiServer site from scratch and I have major problems.
http://www.frederikvig.com/2009/12/introduction-create-an-episerver-site-from-scratch/

Can someone please commit him/herself to help me?

# What OS is required to follow the guide? I have Windows XP SP 3.
# From Microsofts Web Platform installer 3.0 I have installed
- .NET Framework 4
- ASP.NET Web Pages
- ASP.Net Language pack
- .NET Framework 3.5 SP1.
- IIS Express
- Web deployment tool 2.1
- Windows Imaging component
- Visual Web Developer 2010 Express
- Microsoft WebMatrix
- SQL Server Express 2008 R2
- SQL Server 2008 R2 Management Studio Express
- Microsoft SQL Server Compact 4.0 (I think WebMatrix installed this)
- SQL Server 2008 R2 Management Objects (I think WebMatrix installed this)
- Microsoft SQL Server Compact 4.0 Tools (I think WebMatrix installed this)

Powershell 1.0 is installed, dont know where it came from. There is a version 2.0 in Web platform installer, should I install that?

Installing the .net framework and Visual Studio went easy. The problems began with SQL because I had no clue what to do - login options, accounts for the service, start modes - but I think that it is working. Lets take a look:

Start > Programs > For some strange reason I have two SQL 2008 folders, one is called Microsoft SQL Server 2008 and only contains one folder 'Configuration Tools' with 'SQL Server Installation Center', one is called 'Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2'. In R2 > 'Configuration Tools' I now open 'SQL Server Configuration Manager', this it what I got:
# SQL Server Services
- SQL Server (SQLEXPRESS) -- State running -- Start Mode Automatic -- Log on as .\SQL -- Process ID 2152 -- Service Type SQL Server
- SQL Server Agent (SQLEXPRESS) -- State Stopped -- Start Mode Other (Boot, System, Disabled or Unknown) -- Log on as NT Authority\Networkservice -- Process ID 0 -- Service SQL Agent
- SQL Server Browser -- State Running -- Start mode Automatic -- Log on as NT Authority\Localservice -- Process ID 2648 -- Service Type SQL Browser

Does that seem right? .\SQL is an account I made in windows (controll panel accounts) to run the service SQLEXPRESS. A guide told me to make an account for that service. Why? And why is SQL Server agent stopped?

Under SQL Server Network Configuration I have: Shared memory, Named pipes and TCP/IP active and VIA disabled. I have not made any changes in their properties. Should I?

Under SQL Native Client 10.0 Configuration > Client protocols I have Shared memory, TCP/IP and Named Pipes active, in that order, and VIA disabled. I have not made any changes in their properties. Should I?

In Windows Firewall I have made sqlbrowser.exe and sqlserver.exe an exception and also opened UDP port 1434, according to a guide. Why UDP port and not  tcp/ip?

Now, moving along to connect to database. Start > Program > Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 > SQL Server Management Studio
Connect to Server
Server Type: Database Engine (What is SQL Server Compact that is another option?)
Server Name: HMDATOR\SQLEXPRESS
Authentication: Windows Authentication
User name: xxxx
Password: blank
Connect --------------------> It seams to work.

Installing Epi Server

The installer says that no IIS is install and that might lead to my site wont work. The installer also says that no SQL is installed - but it is! The deployment center than complains about no IIS installed and I cant get anywhere.

Why does Epi installation say that no SQL is installed when it is - and is working(?)?

Why does Epi installation complain about no IIS installed when it is? I know that IIS express and WebMatrix ("powered by IIS express") isnt run as a service and therefor causing problems(?) according to a guide: "You can’t use EPiServer Deployment Center to install a site in IIS Express since it’s not run as a service. So there’s no (easy) way to install a new site on the machine running IIS Express."
http://world.episerver.com/Blogs/Magnus-Paulsson/Dates/2010/11/Running-EPiServer-CMS-in-IIS-Express/

But the Guide "Create an Epi Server site from scratch" told me to download from Microsoft Web Platform installer and the Express version is ALL YOU GET!

In this lengthy post I have underlined my thoughts that I would be really happy if someone answered. But the big question is: how do I continue with the guide Create an Epi site from SCRATCH? Am I doing something wrong or is it because of the Express version of IIS or is it Windows XP SP 3 standard that is the problem?

Thank you very much!

Jul 07, 2011 11:24
Vote:

I've had no problems installing EPiServer on a Windows 7 machine using SQL Express 2008 R2. What version of the CMS are you trying to install? And yes I would advice you to upgrade your developer environment to something a little more modern ;)

Jul 07, 2011 14:04
Vote:

Hi! Thanks for your reply. But did you use IIS express? Will an Epi installation (what ever version - 4, 5, 6) work with IIS express?

I tried to install EPiServer CMS 6.1.379.0.

Jul 07, 2011 15:35
Vote:

Hi, no I did not use IIS express as Windows 7 (professional at least) comes with IIS. 

Jul 07, 2011 15:38
Vote:

And by installation I mean, following the guide, first unzip and run setup for Epi Server, then go to start > epi > deployment center and install a site(?).

Jul 07, 2011 15:43
Vote:

Ok, so it seams that IIS Express is the fault then. Sad. The guide told me that I can get everything I need from web platform installer, so I counted on that - and Windows XP was the bottom line system requeriment for those apps. Well I will look into upgrading.

This course sounds interesting too
http://www.episerver.com/en/Education/EPiServer-Training-Boot-Camp/

Jul 07, 2011 15:51
Vote:

I know people who has developed on Windows XP, so it should work. Don't know if they used IIS Express or not though. And yeah the boot camp is an excellent way to jump start your EPiServer developing career!

And like Magnus Paulsson says (http://world.episerver.com/Blogs/Magnus-Paulsson/Dates/2010/11/Running-EPiServer-CMS-in-IIS-Express/) there is no easy way of installing an EPiServer site on a IIS Express instance.  

Jul 07, 2011 15:56
This topic was created over six months ago and has been resolved. If you have a similar question, please create a new topic and refer to this one.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.