Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Confused about PageTypeBuilder

Vote:

Well, Iam trying to make a drop down property. You can do that in Epi 6 R2 but not below. So, Iam trying to follow a guide to make one, but of course there are complications.

This is the guide: http://joelabrahamsson.com/entry/developing-with-page-type-builder-getting-started

The problems, first of all, with some guides (more of a problem I have, I guess) is that the author takes for granted that the reader has a certan degree of knowledge. Well, I dont.

So lets start with a very important question. Where the guide mentions "The very first thing we must do is reference the PageTypeBuilder.dll assembly. That will in turn require that our web application has access to two assemblies from the Castle project, Castle.Core.dll and Castle.DynamicProxy2.dll. All of these are included when you download Page Type Builder from the project site at CodePlex. ". What does that mean?

I have downloaded "the thing" here: http://pagetypebuilder.codeplex.com/releases. First of all the zip file does not contain those files. It contains the following: Castle.Core.dll, PageTypeBuilder.Activation.StructureMap.dll, PageTypeBuilder.dll, StructureMap.dll. Where is Castle.DynamicProxy2.dll? Why?

Next step. What do I do? I place them in the bin folder of my project? Then, in Visual Studio, I right click on the reference tree and select 'add reference'? Do I add all of them or only PageTypeBuilder.dll?

I added all of them, is that wrong?

Is this the so called "add assembly reference"? Then in the code behind file I write "using PageTypeBuilder;"? Or do I have to write using for all of them I have included?

I followed the guide and compile, but I get the following errors:

Error    104    Assembly 'PageTypeBuilder, Version=1.3.1.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=6fb8762af0e6dbed' uses 'EPiServer, Version=6.1.379.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=8fe83dea738b45b7' which has a higher version than referenced assembly 'EPiServer, Version=5.2.375.133, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=8fe83dea738b45b7'    c:\EPiServer\Sites\Nykoping.InternWeb\Nykoping.InternWeb.Community\bin\PageTypeBuilder.dll    Nykoping.InternWeb.Community

Error    105    The type or namespace name 'PropertyAppSettings' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)    C:\EPiServer\Sites\Nykoping.InternWeb\Nykoping.InternWeb.Community\Templates\Nykoping\Pages\PeriodenV2.aspx.cs    47    27    Nykoping.InternWeb.Community

I sooo struggle with this!

Sep 29, 2011 11:46
Vote:

The PageTypeBuilder version you downloaded is for EPiServer CMS 6 or above. You'll need PageTypeBuilder 1.2: http://pagetypebuilder.codeplex.com/releases/view/45380.

Frederik

Sep 29, 2011 11:58
Vote:

This got rid of the second error: "using EPiServer.SpecializedProperties;"

Sep 29, 2011 12:08
Vote:

Thanks Frederik. Sorry if I sound frustrated (I kind of am, he he).

But, regarding the so called references. Do I only add one in the reference node? Or all of them? And how do I get rid of the ones I have now (to revart back)?

Sep 29, 2011 12:09
Vote:

You only need to remove the reference from your project for the assemblies you just added, and then download and add references to the downloaded assemblies.

Frederik

Sep 29, 2011 12:15
Vote:

The guide says The very first thing we must do is reference the PageTypeBuilder.dll assembly. Isnt he talking about adding a reference to ONE dll. But you say I should add a reference to all?

This is the exact cite from the guide:

The very first thing we must do is reference the PageTypeBuilder.dll assembly. That will in turn require that our web application has access to two assemblies from the Castle project, Castle.Core.dll and Castle.DynamicProxy2.dll. All of these are included when you download Page Type Builder from the project site at CodePlex. They are also included in the source code package.

So, locate these three files and copy them to your bin directory. Then add a reference to the PageTypeBuilder.dll assembly to your project.

Sep 29, 2011 12:55
Vote:

You need a reference to PageTypeBuilder.dll to compile your code. PageTypeBuilder.dll has dependencies to Castle.Core.dll and Castle.DynamicProxy2.dll, as long has you have those two in the bin folder you'll be fine.

Frederik

Sep 29, 2011 13:06
Vote:

I still get the same error, sorry.

Sep 29, 2011 13:50
Vote:

Maybe its version 1.0?

But the porpuse of all this is to make a property? It will actually work?

My goal with all this is to make a drop down for an editor. Iam following this guide: http://shahinalborz.se/2011/02/episerver-custom-property-dropdown/

Will it work? The code should be placed in the code behind file for the aspx file I want the property to show up on or??

Edited, Sep 29, 2011 13:54
Vote:

It seems that Epi Server 5.2.375.133 isnt "supported". So, yeah. Close.

Sep 29, 2011 14:07
Vote:

Frederik Vi: thank you for the help any way (dont mean to sound ungreatful). Have a nice day. =)

Sep 29, 2011 14:51
This topic was created over six months ago and has been resolved. If you have a similar question, please create a new topic and refer to this one.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.