Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Possible to localize meta data for a file?

Vote:

Is it possible to localize the meta data entered in File Summary in the file manager? The meta data is indexed by EPiServer and used when the user searches for files, so it seems quite obvious that there is a need to have the meta-data in multiple languages on a globalized site. But I haven't found a way to do this.

Feb 08, 2012 10:13
Vote:

No that is not possible. But in that case, wouldn't you upload a new localized file also? The metadata should reflect to content of the file, isn't it wierd to have an english pdf with swedish metadata?

Feb 08, 2012 10:55
Vote:

He he, of course you are right. Didn't think it of that. But I would have to save the different language versions of the documents in separate folders and then make sure that it is the correct folder that is used when searching? Or I could have the language as meta data for the file an filter out the files I dont wan't to display in the search result..

Well, thanks anyway!

Feb 08, 2012 11:30
Vote:

An image etc could be the same in different languages. One solution (not sure if this is to recommend) is to add one field for each language. Like Description_SV, Description_EN, and then filter the output. I've used this approach once, and it worked well for the functionality that was needed.

Feb 08, 2012 12:02
Vote:

That's true Erik. But image search isn't so common on a corporate website, far more common to show an image next to an page hit than just an image.

Feb 08, 2012 12:54
Vote:

Well, I still se a point in using meta data for images. It all depends on how the customer wants to work EPiServer. An image archive or press section could take advantage of this. But as said, it's up to the customer imo.

The solution I implemented was for documents, and the customer only had the documents in it english, but still wanted meta data for other languages.

Feb 08, 2012 13:00
Vote:

Of course. And in that case, I think the only way is what you did.

You can also implement your own VPP with custom meta data or if you're using another search engine you can implement metadata in various ways.

Feb 08, 2012 13:08
This topic was created over six months ago and has been resolved. If you have a similar question, please create a new topic and refer to this one.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.