Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Query custom content type performance issue

Vote:

Hi

We had Comment custom content type in our system that used with Topic page type. User allowed to add comments for each topic - similar to review or simple forum system. 

However, if the topic has more than 100 comments, to query them for a specific topic is getting very very slow (approximate 50 seconds) for the first time with IContentRepository. 

Can someone advise me how to fix this issue? Should I completely rewrite this using DynamicStore?  

Environment 

• EPiServer 7.0
  • SQLServer 2008

Comment custom type declaration as follow

public class Comment : IContent
    {
        public virtual string Body { get; set; }

public virtual DateTime DateAddedInUTC { get; set; }
        public virtual DateTime DateUpdatedInUTC { get; set; }
        public virtual string UserId { get; set; }        
        public virtual bool IsFlagged { get; set; }
        public virtual string UserName { get; set; }   
        public virtual int Option { get; set; }
        public virtual bool IsHidden { get; set; }
    }
Aug 05, 2014 4:04
Vote:

How are the Comment items stored. Are they children to the page? If so cant you load them with the GetChildren that has paging overload? Then you do not need to get them all at once.

Aug 05, 2014 16:18
Vote:

Hi Johan

Thanks for your replay. 

Yes, the comments are stored under against each page. I initially used GetChildren method, but I need to get the total number of comments for each topic and display it , therefore I can't use paging overload method. 

Is there any efficient method to count the total comment from server side instead of client side?

Aug 06, 2014 2:28
Vote:

You could use

IContentProviderManager.ProviderMap.GetProvider(contentLink).GetChildrenReferences(contentLink, languageID, -1, -1).Count

Aug 06, 2014 8:01
Vote:

Thanks again for your promopt reply. 

This project is built in 7.0, there is no generic version of GetChildrenReference method, any alternative?

Aug 06, 2014 8:33
Vote:

Upgrade to 7.5 ;-)

Otherwise an option is to have a property CommentCount on the page it self that you update through eventhandlers to IContentEvents.CreatedContent and IContentEvents.DeletedContent (or perhaps a comment is never deleted??)

Aug 06, 2014 8:58
Vote:

Thanks for your suggestion. 

Yesterday I implemented the second option, but what I found was querying/updating the data in the DynamicStore is much more faster than update the page itself, therfore I switched to use the DynamicStore to save the total comments counter against topic id. 

Aug 06, 2014 10:21
Vote:

Hi Johan

It's me again. 

Is there any known issue with GetChildren with pagination method in 7.0 (7.0.586.1)? See the attached sreenshot

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yufsbv5l7rflpqk/2014-08-07_095423.png

BTW: I am trying to attach the image, but it's always getting removed after I save the post

Edited, Aug 07, 2014 2:00
Vote:

Hi

Yes you are correct that there is a bug in CMS 7 which migth occour if you use typed get children (with a generic argument different than IContent) together with paging. This has been fixed in CMS 7.5 (part of the ifx was as you saw earlier that it is now a typed GetChildrenReferences.

Aug 07, 2014 9:24
Vote:

I don't know if the client is willing to pay extra money to upgrade. Is there any alternative or patch to fix this issue?

Aug 08, 2014 2:47
Vote:

No, there is no patch for CMS 7 for this issue. The reason the fix has not been "backported" to CMS7 is that it requires quite large rewrites including database schema changes.

Aug 08, 2014 9:12
This thread is locked and should be used for reference only. Please use the Episerver CMS 7 and earlier versions forum to open new discussions.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.