Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Adding Blog to Episerver

Vote:

Hi,

I'm a little bit at a loss for how to add Blogs to the CMS. My development box has EPiServer 7 Alloy MVC installed and I used the Deployment center to install Community on existing site.

It seems I am capable of adding blog entries after logging into the CMS, however, how do I add these to a Page or Block Type? The goal is to have an admin user log in, add a blog entry and appear on a public page. In the future we plan to allow outside users to interact with the blog, but right now it's just limited to admins.

Any idea of where to start? It's difficult to find any documentation on this.

Sep 18, 2014 22:18
Vote:

EDIT: Apparently misread your question, you are referring to the Blogs in Community, not in CMS. Different beast - disregard my answer below.

This is a bit of a non-answer, but TL;DR: Don't use Blogs - roll your own.

There's no documentation because the Blogs templates were only included as a demo/example.
They were never meant for production usage, just inspiration.

You really shouldn't base any of your code on the EPiServer.Blog namespace, because in EPiServer 7.5 onwards, the namespace (along with EPiServer.Blog.dll and the Blog demo templates) are no longer included in the demos for CMS. Which means upgrading will cause you pain.

Jacob Khan at EPiServer is apparently working on some new Blog templates (although for 7.5+) which may be useful.
Video notes while waiting for the official blog post: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSAZkUPd7VM

Edited, Sep 21, 2014 23:54
Vote:

Thanks for your response. This has been a little helpful. I apologize, I couldn't figure out how to edit my post after I had sent it; I have EPiServer 7.5 installed.

For Blogs in Community, I am trying to access them and display them in the CMS, similar to that video you posted. Were you saying that video is using EPiServer 7.5? He doesn't seem to be using Community though (at least mine has a Community link in the UI).

Sep 22, 2014 17:19
Vote:

Hi Brandon. The blog I have posted on youtube is like you said for CMS only and a very simple blog module where editors can create blogs. Not external people. If you are looking to create a lot of blogs and in the future allow external people to create them then I recommend Relate and the community piece. The best way is to install the relate package which you can download here on world and move over the blog code that you need.

EPiServer CMS comes with a sample template called Alloy while EPiServer Community comes with its own sample project. In the Community sample project you have various different features like blogs.

Sep 23, 2014 16:16
Vote:

Hi Jacob,

We are using the CMS piece of EPiServer 7.5. Is the Blog still a part of the CMS or do we need to be using Community? Also, if Community is needed, do we really need Relate? It sounds like all it does is combine the CMS, email and Community into one.

Sep 23, 2014 19:19
Vote:

If I understand Jacob correct in his demo it is based on pages/block in cms 7.5, it looks a lot like the concept that have be created by episerver for older versions.

Sep 23, 2014 22:55
Vote:

Relate is the combination of Community, CMS and Mail. The Blog piece can be built using CMS or Community. There are advantages to using either and depending on your needs I would suggest using the CMS as Blogs if you have a limited amount of bloggers and blogs. e.g. less than 100 per month. Community is really good for larger amounts of blogs and bloggers can be external and it also comes with commenting and ratings. How to access blogs in Community is through the Relate package. Install Relate and get the code and the functionality you need there. Community also has different installation instructions than CMS.

Sep 24, 2014 14:36
Vote:

I know this is under EPiServer 7 CMS forum, but this is the closest Blog implementation thread I could find in the forum.

I am using EPiServer 9.5.1 MVC and would like to include common Blog functionality (blog channels, categories, tags, archive, subscribe via email, comments, search with most popular, tetc.) into one of my customer's solution to replace their current usage of WordPress.  

The idea is to have site admins post blogs, so there will be a limited amount of bloggers.

Where can I find the templates from the video to help me start?

Is there an Add-in or 3rd party we should look into rather than building from scratch?

Edited, Jan 12, 2016 15:06
Vote:

Hi Todd

You can download the package, both mvc and webforms in the same package here http://world.episerver.com/blogs/Jacob-Khan/Dates/2014/9/Blog-Template-for-EPiServer-CMS-75/

However, the updated version is apart of our demo kit https://github.com/episerver/AlloyDemoKit

Hope this makes sense

/J

Jan 12, 2016 15:15
Vote:

Thank you for the information.

I created an Alloy EPiServer CMS project via Visual Studio 2015 using the Aloy (MVC), but that did not have the Blog example templates.

Am I missing something?

I will try the AlloyDemoKit link you supplied, I assume this has different than the Alloy (MVC) templates in Visual Studio?

Jan 12, 2016 15:21
Vote:

You can find the updated version on github https://github.com/episerver/AlloyDemoKit but updating to latast cms is easy as well for the old package. The package found on github is not the same as the one installed in vs via episervers template installer.

Jan 12, 2016 20:14
Vote:

As Eric mentioned the github package is not identical to the one you create in VS. It uses the project from VS as a base but has a number of extra Add-ons, configs, extensions, and more. Here's a more thorough description: http://world.episerver.com/blogs/Janaka-Fernando/Dates/2015/8/introducing-alloy-demo-kit/. You will also find a ReadMe in the github package with further details. 

Jan 13, 2016 7:46
Vote:

Thank you for your help. 

Jan 13, 2016 14:29
Vote:

I got the AlloyDemoKit running locally.  Great to have examples.  Thank you very much for helping me.

Question:

This is in regards to the ability to add script (.JS) and style (CSS) files to a page.  In the SitePageData.cs model there are new properties for Scripts and CSS files.  In the CMS editor you can create a new link (or drag content) into the Script Files area under the script tab of the page.  I assume this was only intended for use with 'External link' files with the full path, e.g. 'https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/conversion_async.js'

If I try to utilize a file that I've uploaded as content (e.g. in the Media area with something called 'myscript.js', then the item.Href does not resolve properly in the HtmlHelpers class when it callign the function AppendFiles.  This is due to the files being from the LinkItemCollection and then referenced in the foreach with: outputString.AppendLine(string.Format(formatString, item.Href));

When I step through the code in the ApendFiles, my item.Href is something like, "~/link/f94f6a16640d43d5ae917838967544b8.aspx".  Which is not the .js file I uploaded for content.  In a view I can use @Url.ContentUrl(item.Href) to get the URL, but I have not been able to figure out a way to get this url from within the AppendFiles.

Does that make sense?

I'm just trying to extend this area to be able to handle uploaded CMS content.

Edited, Jan 14, 2016 22:09
Vote:

Hi Experts,

I need to create a Blog and it should contain the Comment,Share link for particular blogs only.If we have 2 blogs both the shared with social media will be different.
Need to Add are as:
1) Category Filter.
2) Tag Filter.
3) Blog share with all Social Media.
4) Leave a comment section .

I have implemented Jacab's Sample code on my Episerver CMS successfully.
But it is not completed need to do more options as i mentioned to you in above.

Edited, Mar 01, 2016 9:59
This thread is locked and should be used for reference only. Please use the Episerver CMS 7 and earlier versions forum to open new discussions.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.