Don't miss out Virtual Happy Hour this Friday (April 26).

Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Source control the /bin folder?

Vote:

Should the /bin folder be added to source control when working with EPiServer?

In general my experience says /bin does not belong in source control since it's dynamically generated but being new to EPiServer and having just started a new job where this is done, I'm not sure?

We had a lot of trouble setting up a development environment on my machine because of mismatches between the projects bin folder, EPiServers own bin folder and the GAC.

Aug 16, 2013 6:47
Vote:

No, we never check in the bin folder, instead we try to use NuGet packages as much as possible. In some cases, when no NuGet package is available, we have a References folder with all other dll files which we reference in the main web application project or we add a XCopy script to copy the dll files to the bin folder on post build event.

Hope this helps.

Frederik

Aug 16, 2013 8:38
Vote:

I understand the use of Nuget packages and a references folder for third party dll files but what about EPiServer dlls?

Should they be used from GAC or from EPiServer/CMS/6.0.530/bin or from application bin?

Aug 16, 2013 11:21
Vote:

EPiServer dlls from NuGet packages: http://nuget.episerver.com.

Frederik

Aug 16, 2013 11:24
Vote:

That's cool! Thanks for the insight.

Aug 16, 2013 12:00
This thread is locked and should be used for reference only. Please use the Episerver CMS 7 and earlier versions forum to open new discussions.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.