Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Upgrade problem R2 SP2 - Object reference not set to an instance of an object

Vote:

After upgrading to R2 SP2 I can no longer login to edit or admin. I get this error:

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]    EPiServer.DataAccess.DataAccessBase.Execute(Action action) +85    EPiServer.DataAccess.WindowsProviderDB.SynchronizeGroups(String userName, String[] groups) +85    EPiServer.Security.WindowsRoleProvider.GetRolesForUser(String username) +124    System.Web.Security.RolePrincipal.IsInRole(String role) +164    EPiServer.Security.VirtualRolePrincipal.IsInRole(String role) +101    System.Web.Configuration.AuthorizationRule.IsTheUserInAnyRole(StringCollection roles, IPrincipal principal) +123    System.Web.Configuration.AuthorizationRule.IsUserAllowed(IPrincipal user, String verb) +256    System.Web.Configuration.AuthorizationRuleCollection.IsUserAllowed(IPrincipal user, String verb) +199    System.Web.Security.UrlAuthorizationModule.OnEnter(Object source, EventArgs eventArgs) +8771768    System.Web.SyncEventExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute() +68    System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously) +75 

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.3053; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.3053

If I go to the site I get this error:

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]    EPiServer.DataAccess.DataAccessBase.Execute(Action action) +85    EPiServer.DataAccess.PageQuickSearchDB.FindByExternalUrl(String path) +197    EPiServer.Web.SimpleAddress.SimpleAddressToInternal(UrlBuilder url, Object& internalObject) +66    EPiServer.Web.FriendlyUrlRewriteProvider.ConvertToInternalInternal(UrlBuilder url, Object& internalObject) +164    EPiServer.Web.FriendlyUrlRewriteProvider.ConvertToInternal(UrlBuilder url, Object& internalObject) +303    EPiServer.Web.UrlRewriteModule.HttpUrlRewriteToInternal(UrlBuilder url) +313    EPiServer.Web.UrlRewriteModuleBase.BeginRequestEventHandler(Object sender, EventArgs e) +158    System.Web.SyncEventExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute() +68    System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously) +75 

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.3053; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.3053  

Oct 14, 2009 14:19
Vote:

I guess the upgrade program was having a bad day. Comparing a working web.config I saw that this line was missing from the <httpModules> section! 

<add name="InitializationModule" type="EPiServer.Web.InitializationModule, EPiServer" />

Oct 14, 2009 14:33
This thread is locked and should be used for reference only. Please use the Episerver CMS 7 and earlier versions forum to open new discussions.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.