Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Site partitioning

Vote:

I am very interested in partitioning my community using sites, if that can do what I want it to do Smile

The problem is I can't seem to find any information about how sites work, is there an explanation or FAQ anywhere? I'll post my questions below, but they can be ignored if there is material for me to read up on.

What can be partitioned using sites? The developers guide gives some hints, but exactly what entities can be assigned to a site? I suppose users and groups are global?

Is it possible to set a site context when the user logs in (or based on a dynamic property in EPiServer for example) to simplify further operations?

What is the meaning of the "Global" and "Default" sites I get when installing? Is Global the set of all sites? Can the Default site be set to point to a certain site, or is it just a reserved site name?

I can't seem to find a way to specify site on a query, how does sites affect queries? I don't want cross-site lists of forum posts when doing a search etc. Is there a way to filter for example a "last logged in users" list so that it does not include user A on site X if user A recently logged in to Site Y?

Thank you!

Jun 12, 2008 8:03
Vote:

Hi,

In the Functions Description document it is mentioned which functions can be partitioned.

Is it possible to set a site context when the user logs in (or based on a dynamic property in EPiServer for example) to simplify further operations?

The StarSuite.Core.SiteHandler.CurrentSite property holds a reference to the site assigned to the current context. A site is assigned based on the Url the user enters when visiting the website. You can set up different Urls a site should bind to under System Settings > Sites > "The site you wish to edit" in the administration interface.

What is the meaning of the "Global" and "Default" sites I get when installing?

Global is objects that are not assigned to any site. Objects created passing "null" as site will be treated as "Global". "Default" is the site partition automatically created by the installation program.

I can't seem to find a way to specify site on a query, how does sites affect queries?

Sites are most often exposed as a criterion on a query where the type in question has support for partitioning. For example ImageGalleryQuery's Site criterion, where the ImageGallery class itself also has a property named Site.

Community partitions should not be seen as a way to have multiple community websites in one installation, and the user database will be shared among all partitions. Partitions should more be seen as a way to partition content on language, which is a common use for it, for example with each website url leading to a localized version of the website, listing localized community content on the first page.

Jun 17, 2008 16:09
Vote:

Great answer, Mattias!  Thanks! Smile
Jun 17, 2008 22:06
This thread is locked and should be used for reference only. Please use the Legacy add-ons forum to open new discussions.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.