Don't miss out Virtual Happy Hour this Friday (April 26).

Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Running same community on multiple sites, technically possible

Vote:

Is it technically possible to run a community database on two totally different episerver sites by using the same (related) web.config/community settings and same database specifeid in connectionstrings?

Apr 08, 2011 11:05
Vote:

I might be on thin ice here, but I see no reason why you couldn't (technically, I don't know about license), it's basically a load-balanced setup. In previous versions Community had it's own cache synchronizing. Now it employes the same event distribution system as CMS so perhaps there could be problems in there.

Of course if the sites have different code applying different logic you could get counter-intuitive results (say one site allows comments and the lacks a commenting function, and suddenly the site where it's not allowed gets filled up with comments).

Also, if you use any of the multiplexing/integrating membership providers you should use the same or compatible setup in both sites not to get unexpected results.

And to be clear, I have no experience of such a setup.

Apr 08, 2011 13:36
Vote:

Yes this is possible, we're doing just that. Having two separate installations of EPiServer but both using the same Community-database.

Best regards

Martin

May 31, 2011 22:25
This thread is locked and should be used for reference only. Please use the Legacy add-ons forum to open new discussions.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.