Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Change page type after page has been created

Vote:

Hello! It would be nice to be able to change the page type on a page that already has been created in the edit mode. // Stefan
Oct 02, 2003 10:07
Vote:

That would be nice.
Aug 17, 2008 23:50
Vote:

This function is available in the next major release of EPiServer CMS 5 (R2).
Aug 18, 2008 8:35
Vote:

Hello Stefan and Sangeeta,

There is also a script developed by the EPiServer support. We are working to get our scripts and tools up on the support page but in the meen time I would recomend you to create a case with your issue.

Aug 18, 2008 9:01
Vote:

Aug 18, 2008 10:15
Vote:

Now, exactly how is it possible to change the page type of a page in 5R2? I have searched the editor docs and could not find a description on how.
Nov 06, 2008 9:53
Vote:

This is an administrative function available in admin mode, I think its called "Convert Page Types".

Nov 06, 2008 10:02
Vote:

Thanks, Per. I found both the convert function and the approprate chapter in the admin guide for R2. However, the admin guide provides only rudimentary information.

Even if the function is there, I certainly would like to have some descriptions on

- How are field conversions done? What works and what does not?

- Why conversion of a single page is an admin task? I guess several editors would be more than happy to have an option of converting pages.

- Explanation of errors. A test run on a dummy page at my site shows an error message stating:

Test Results
Could not convert the page: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. at EPiServer.UI.Admin.ConvertPageType.VerifyFormsValues(Boolean isTest)
at EPiServer.UI.Admin.ConvertPageType.Convert(Object sender, EventArgs e)

- Other CMSes tend to save unused/unconverted content when converting page types (or they have the opportunity of separating content assets from pages, thereby leaving the content unaffected when changing page types for a page). To avoid content being deleted if it's unused for a moment, it should be saved in some sort of bucket where it could be retrieved if the page is converted to another page type later on.

Nov 06, 2008 10:41
Vote:

1. Only properties of the same base type I think, like Int->Int, Date->Date.
2. See 4)
3. Could you please export both page types and the actual page and send it to support. And a screendump of your settings so that they can repro it. Thanks for your help.
4. It was built as an administrative function. The "customer" was someone that were deploying new page types or wanted to consolidate page types, a power user or dev and not an average editor. To have it in edit mode we need as you say non-destructive support and another user interface.

Nov 06, 2008 14:20
Vote:

I wanted to ask you how I could change one page type to another after publishing. I searched on EPi World and found this post about EPI R2 having a function called "Convert Page Types". I am using EPiServer 5.1.422.122 and I don't see such function.

Can you advice me on how I can go ahead and make this change? Is there an SQL that I can use to safely change the page type?

Jan 15, 2009 12:04
Vote:

You need R2 (5.2) to convert pages to another page type.

Changing page type using a SQL script is a complex operation since a page type and the property definitions propagates into multiple tables.

Jan 15, 2009 14:48
This thread is locked and should be used for reference only.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.