Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Force the filling of alt for images in DHTML-editor

Vote:

I appreciate your effort to improve userability issues for Episerver-based sites (cooperation with funka.nu etc) Its good to already have the possibility to include alt-tags to images added through the DHTML-editor. Our client would like to take this one step further and is requesting a functionality that I think is very fitting in this case. The tool would be even better if it was possible to force users to add the alt text when editing and adding images. This could be a checkbox in admin-mode along with the other settings for an editorbased property. Havning this setting as checked would ensure that a site by design can guarantee that all its images are with alt tags without being subject to human error. This would go a long way to implement company or organisation strategies regarding userability in my opinion. Best Regards, Henrik
Mar 16, 2005 11:34
Vote:

We are commited to improve the usability of EPiServer both in order to make the editors' jobs easier, and to make it easier for them to create accessible web content. However, enforcing the input of alt texts for all images doesn't guarantee better accessibility. Some editors might just enter a space to get by the obstacle of mandatory input. Others might enter alt texts for all images, including purely decorative images such as lines, dots etc. that should not have the alt attribute set. Alt texts without meaning would only make it more difficult for visitors using screen readers. Of course, this depends on the web site and especially the CSS level (since high-level CSS makes the use of decorative images less frequent for editors). Therefore, it's hard to say if mandatory alt texts would really solve the problem, especially since it is the content of the alt texts that are important. But of course, since different web sites work differently and the level of CSS varies, it might be a good idea for some customers. So I'll add your suggestion to our wish list, but I can't give you an indication of neither if nor when the feature will be available. But we'll give it some thought. Thank you for the suggestion and best regards!
Mar 17, 2005 11:29
This thread is locked and should be used for reference only.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.