Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Virtual servers or not?

Vote:

We are thinking about reviewing our server park in the future. Today we have a combination of two load balanced physical front end servers and a virtual staging server. What would you recommend for the front end, is there any reason to buy new physical servers or should we use virtual all the way? Pros and cons? Our techs would love to use virtuals, but can you see any reason why not?

Apr 06, 2011 16:09
Vote:

Hello Karin

I've worked on instaltions that use physical and virtual servers and confirm that EPiServer runs great on both. Personally I use the following bullet points when deciding to go physical or not (and this isn't EPiServer specific):

• Cost - VMs can work out more expensive in some scenarios so if this is important then go physical
  • Performance - If all out, CPU screaming at 100% performance, is important then go physical

Otherwise VMs are a great choice for running EPiServer (and in general) for all the reasons I'm sure your techs have already said!

Personally unless there is a really good reason to go physical I recommend VMs.

Hope that helps!

David

Apr 06, 2011 19:52
Vote:

Thank you David, interesting information and good bullet points! My gut feeling is now backed up with a few more facts :)

Apr 07, 2011 13:51
This thread is locked and should be used for reference only.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.