Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

CultureSpecific Category

Vote:

Hello all

I want to be able to add categories that are specific for each language. Right now my category picker is locked on all languages my site is in, except the master language.

I've tried to override the CategoryList and added [CultureSpecific] without any luck.

Feb 03, 2014 9:26
Vote:

The built in category property is part of the metadata that is stored per item (and not per language version). If you want to have a language specific category property you can add a new property of the type CategoryList and work with that instead of the build in one. I've seen a few examples on how you can hide the built in category property, for instance: http://joelabrahamsson.com/hiding-episervers-standard-category-property/

Feb 03, 2014 10:12
Vote:

If the problem is that the categories have English names, you should be able to translate them with ordinary translation.

http://www.david-tec.com/2012/03/Translating-EPiServer-Category-names/

But it seems to be a bug where the UI does not follow this, even if I try to add an english "translation". Or have I missed something?

I've added the following to Alloy Templates:

<categories>
<category name="Meet">
<description>Alloy Meet from translation</description>
</category>
</categories>

EPiServer.DataAbstraction.Category.Find("Meet").LocalizedDescription returns "Alloy Meet from translation" but the UI still shows "Alloy Meet".

Feb 03, 2014 10:45
Vote:

Thanks for the inforamtion Alf, I see that we're surely using the description property instead of the LocalizedDescription and have reported a bug to handle this:

Bug #111647: Category editor does not support translated labels

Feb 03, 2014 10:51
Vote:

Thanks for the answers guys

The thing is though we are already using the build in categories for different things for the master language, so removing that is not something I want to do at this point. I'm not interested in translating the categories. I just want to be able to pick categories from my list on all the languages.

Feb 03, 2014 11:35
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.