Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

How can I upgrade only database in 7.5?

Vote:

Hi,

We have successfully upgraded our local development enviroment to v7.5 from 7.1, and now want to upgrade the staging/production environment.

In the best of worlds I would like to only upgrade the stage database by running upgrade scripts, followed by the VPP migration tool.

I have found some interesting SQL scripts in Upgrade\Database\sql, however I do not know the right order to execute the scripts or which ones to use.

Has anyone had any experience doing this? I know I could point the dev site to stage database and upgrade that way, but it would be a lot easier with an "Upgrade Database" option in Deployment Center. (Oh and I do not have RDP to stage webserver).

Feb 03, 2014 11:55
Vote:

Upgrading only the database will not work - you need to upgrade VPPs as well (EPiServer source files has moved from program files to Modules folder). It's tricky to upgrade an environment other than dev, this because there are a lot of code changes involved when moving from 7.1 to 7.5.

I have upgraded one test environment, here is what I did:

1. Run upgrade in deployment center on test/staging server
  2. Do deploy - with upgraded code and config
    1. Make sure you exclude modulesbin folder content 
    2. Add the uploads VPP config to episerverframework.config
  3. Run Upgrade/disable Add-Ons after product upgrade
  4. Run VPP migration tool

Feb 03, 2014 12:27
Vote:

Thanks Mari for your reply!

The problem is that I do not have RDP to staging so I cannot use Deployment Center. I had to resort to the solution I mentioned last in my post:

1. In the local environment, get a version before upgrade was made.
  2. Download VPP from stage and configure it in config.
  3. Set connectionString to stage DB.
  4. Run Upgrade site in Deployment Center (from my computer).
  5. Fix compilation and reference errors (get latest version of source code).
  6. Run "Upgrade/disable Add-Ons".
  7. Run VPP migration tool.
  8. Upload blobs, Modules, ModulesRepository to stage VPP.
  9. Do deploy of latest source code.
Edited, Feb 03, 2014 14:55
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.