Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Questions about MediaData

Vote:

Hello

I have started looking at MediaData in 7.5, and I have a couple of questions that I cannot find in any documentation;

I have created two different MediaData types that inhertits from ImageData. When I upload images one of them (the first one I created?) is automatically assigned as type for the uploaded image. I thought that the interface would be something like blocks where I get to choose what type I want for different images. Is there a way to select type? What's the idea here?

Next question: When you want to use a MediaData as property on a page or block you use Url och ContentReference? Or? I remember from the demo at the dev forum that there was a way to specify what files the editor shoul be able to select in the dialog when selecting a content. Is that implemented? How do I use it?

Regards
Fredrik

Mar 13, 2014 9:25
Vote:

1. Currently, the only built in way in the user interface to create media content is to upload items in the media gadget. The file extensions specified on the different media types then decides what type to create. We have been talking about making it possible to do it the other way as well, that is: Create a media content item and then attach a binary file to it, but it's nothing that's been done or is in the backlog for the nearest future.

2. Check my blog post that should answer some of these questions: http://world.episerver.com/Blogs/Linus-Ekstrom/Dates/2014/3/Linking-to-other-content-in-EPiServer/

Mar 13, 2014 10:05
Vote:

Linus, can't you just add a Blob property to a content type to achieve that funcationality?

Mar 13, 2014 21:38
Vote:

You could add a blob property to any content type. However the default editor for type Blob is just a textbox, so there is no way to get in binary data that way currently. What would be needed is an editor for Blob type that lets you upload binary data, e.g. a drop zone where you could drop a file.

Mar 14, 2014 4:43
Vote:

Ah, I see. Thanks for the information Johan.

Mar 14, 2014 4:46
Vote:

Thanks! Now I know

Fredrik

Mar 14, 2014 12:02
This topic was created over six months ago and has been resolved. If you have a similar question, please create a new topic and refer to this one.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.