Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Migrate Episerver Blobs to Amazon

Vote:

Hi, I am migrating existing Episerver blobs ( stored on server filesystem ) to Amazon S3 bucket. I am new to this process and I want to check that I did not miss anything.

What I have done so far:
1. Installed/Configured  EPiServer.Amazon.Blobs.AmazonBlobProvider
2. Manually copied all files to S3 bucket

Did I missed anyhting?

When I load the pages from the CMS the media files are still refered via /globalassets and I cannot see that request is ending up at S3 bucket. Do I need to do anything else in th emigration process?

What is the best way to make sure that those files are coming from the S3 bucket, and how can I offload the request from the webserver to get the file directly from S3?

Thanks
las

Jul 21, 2020 3:27
Vote:

Hi Laszlo

I haven't migrated assets from local servers to Amazon S3. But generally the assets are migrated, Episerver will load the assets from S3 and deliver them through the web server. That's the default supported way.

You can then add a CDN, like Cloudflare or Amazon Cloudfront, in front of your site to offload the asset caching and delivery.

If you really want to offload delivery of assets to an S3 domain, you can have a look at the EPiServer.CdnSupport add-on.

Jul 21, 2020 6:56
Stefan Holm Olsen - Jul 21, 2020 7:53
Just to be clear. I recommend the default way of serving assets.
Use the CdnSupport add-on approach only if your client specifically wants that explicit offloading.
Vote:

Just to be sure, how does your <episerver.framework> section look like? Did you chaneg the defaultProvider for blob?

Also note that /globalassets/ is the abstraction, even if your S3 works it the assets will still be requested from there.

And I agree with what Stefan said - CDN is what you need. 

Jul 21, 2020 7:39
Vote:

The blobs configuration in my episerver.framework section is the following:
<blob defaultProvider="s3blobs">
<providers>
<add name="EPiServerProvider" path="[appDataPath]\blobs" type="EPiServer.Framework.Blobs.FileBlobProvider, EPiServer.Framework" />
<add name="s3blobs" type="EPiServer.Amazon.Blobs.AmazonBlobProvider,EPiServer.Amazon" accessKey="*********" secretKey="********" region="ap-southeast-2" bucket="********" />
</providers>
</blob>

I deleted the blobs folder from the local server file system and the images are coming up. served from S3, so that means the images are loaded from S3. Next step is just to implement CDNsupport. I will give EpiServer.CDNSupport a go.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Jul 23, 2020 23:17
This topic was created over six months ago and has been resolved. If you have a similar question, please create a new topic and refer to this one.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.