Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Installing (MondoSearch) Application beneath EPiServer... Pt. 2

Vote:

Steve Celius around? I am trying to install the MondoSearch integration under EPiServer EPiServer installation on IIs 6.0. I have read related posts http://www.episerver.com/devforum/ShowTopic.aspx?id=10620&epslanguage=EN and http://www.episerver.com/devforum/ShowTopic.aspx?id=9801&epslanguage=EN and it had helped me to solve some of my problems. Unfortunately some problem still persists after copying the dll files to the local bin folder of the "SearchService" application (in my case on C:\MondoSearch\Instances\Public\SearchService\bin). It's giving me the "Object reference not set to an instance of an object." error: Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. Source Error: An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below. Stack Trace: [NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.] EPiServer.ApplicationConfiguration.ᐃ(String ) +9 EPiServer.ApplicationConfiguration.get_UploadDir() +12 EPiServer.ApplicationConfiguration.get_PhysicalUploadDir() +115 EPiServer.ApplicationConfiguration..ctor(String configFileName) +804 EPiServer.Global.get_EPConfig() +81 EPiServer.Util.SpiderSupport.Init(HttpApplication application) +90 System.Web.HttpApplication.InitModules() +100 System.Web.HttpApplication.InitInternal(HttpContext context, HttpApplicationState state, MethodInfo[] handlers) +1332 System.Web.HttpApplicationFactory.GetNormalApplicationInstance(HttpContext context) +392 System.Web.HttpApplicationFactory.GetApplicationInstance(HttpContext context) +256 System.Web.HttpRuntime.ProcessRequestInternal(HttpWorkerRequest wr) +414 I don't know if I'm missing something, given that another part of the installation (called Integration Services) it's working after copying the dll files (on C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\IS\bin). Pls help!
Mar 12, 2007 14:00
Vote:

Hum, do you need it to be running as a separate "application" under IIS? If you right click the virtual directory in IIS, and on the Virtual Directory tab, click the Remove button. This means that the Mondosoft application will be running inside the same web application process as the site. You would then have to copy all the Mondosoft binaries into the site /bin directory, and all the neccessart config settings to the root web.config file. This might not work, depending on the module you're trying to "squeeze" into the EPiServer application, just as EPiServer doesn't work very well beeing started in a foreign application domain without its basic settings. To get around the problem, you basically have to copy the web.config file from the site into you Mondosoft directory, and start peeling away settings you do not need in order for the site to work. Be aware that this actually initializes quite a lot of resources on the part of EPiServer, and is kind of running a separate instance of EPiServer, inside the Mondosoft SearchService application. Is this what you really want to do? Or could you access the SearchService in other ways? /Steve
Mar 12, 2007 17:26
Vote:

OK great, it worked! Is this recommended though? Maybe it's just easier to do the whole installation under a separate website for the MondoSearch? Well, thanks anyway... I'm gonna try to strip the new web.config file now... any suggestion as to what can i safely remove?
Mar 13, 2007 10:05
Vote:

Ok, for anyone interested, the only lines I needed to add to the "local" web.config file were the ones concerning: etc... Hope it helps, and thanks!
Mar 13, 2007 10:14
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.