Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

extensions 2 copying exporting and importing problem


I have a site with version - just writing that makes me wonder if upgrading to .5 might fix this issue - however in the same thought I know that I have had similar problems on another 4.61.5 website running a similar setup for the same customer.

I hope anyway, that there is someone out there that still remembers 4.6x and extensions 2.6.2461.61102 and can shed a little light on this little problem. Could a simple upgrade to 2.7 fix this? - As I write this I await a phone call from DropIT support - so in the meantime here is the problem in full:

The problem is actually 2 fold, the 2nd part of which occured today during a live transfer of pages created from the test server to the production server - a simple export and import - or so I thought:

Problem 1 - copying a page that is created with exension 2.x and pasting the page anywhere in the tree creates an error in the top left section of the edit-mode. The frame that normally holds the buttons etc (eg dynamic properties etc)

This error is:

Server Error in '/' Application. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Object reference not set to an instance of an object.  Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.  Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. Source Error:  An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.   Stack Trace:   [NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]    DropIT.Plugin.Extension.DataAbstraction.VariantData.get_IsPublished() +62    DropIT.Plugin.Extension.DataAbstraction.VariantData.Copy() +139    DropIT.Plugin.Extension.HttpModule.CopyEPiPages(PageReference source, PageReference target, IntLookup& pageLookup, VariantDataCollection copiedVariants) +582    DropIT.Plugin.Extension.HttpModule.EPDataFactory_CreatedPage(Object sender, PageEventArgs e) +1326    EPiServer.PageEventHandler.Invoke(Object sender, PageEventArgs e) +0    EPiServer.DataFactory.ᐁ(PageEventArgs , Object ) +67    EPiServer.DataFactory.Copy(PageReference pageLink, PageReference destinationLink, AccessLevel requiredSourceAccess, AccessLevel requiredDestinationAccess, Boolean publishOnDestination) +780    EPiServer.DataFactory.Copy(PageReference pageLink, PageReference destinationLink) +143    EPiServer.Edit.CommandActionBase.PasteCommandTool_Click(Object sender, ImageClickEventArgs e) +1177    EPiServer.SystemControls.CommandTool.System.Web.UI.IPostBackEventHandler.RaisePostBackEvent(String param) +49    System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(IPostBackEventHandler sourceControl, String eventArgument) +11    System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(NameValueCollection postData) +33    System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +1746

What is odd is that the copy/paste actually works. If i reload the page I see the newly copied page exists and seems to contain all the correct data.  Not so much of a big deal but still irritating.

Problem 2 - exporting and importing pages or even tested with a single page with extensions functions doesnt work. When copying a bunch of pages the error I was get is:

Importen har slutförts Följande fel inträffade: Exception: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.[]

When importing a single page I can get it to work without giving me an error but when I look at the created page there is no extensions content!! its empty!

The source and destination webs are actually copy of the same database originally so there shouldnt be any mismatches in pagetypes or properties missing etc - we set it up just so the customer could create new content on the test server and play around with some of the settings before publishing them to the production server.

Anybody got any clues what is going on? - Old bug in extensions maybe?



Dec 15, 2008 12:05

Ok, reply from DropIT was not so fun Frown

Aparantly this is a bug in 2.6* that never got fixed before moving to 3.x so its not possible to move data between websites.  Lucky we are not talking about hundreds of pages!

I only hope that there is support for it when upgrading to EPiServer 5. Does anyone know if the upgrade program written by EPi takes into consideration pages with extensions 2.x content?  Would really love to hear if it does.

I got a very interesting upgrade project next year if it doesnt - this is a very complex enterprise solution with extension 2.x, imagevault 2.x and siteseeker that will all need upgrading.  Cant wait to be honest!


Dec 15, 2008 13:55

We have a site built on Episerver 4.5 and Extension 2.3 I think it is. I haven't heard of this "upgrade program" your talking about but according to DropIT there is no way to upgrade Extension 2.x to X3... I guess this is because 2.x uses it's entierly own database tables to store data and X3 stores it's data as episerver pages in the database.

Dec 17, 2008 22:31
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.