Don't miss out Virtual Happy Hour this Friday (April 26).

Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Exporting developement pages/custom properties/plugins

Vote:

Howdy. Im pretty new to EPiServer developement and I have a few questions regarding exporting things Ive made in a developement environment.

So. Ive managed to make something in EPiServer.. 1 page, 2 custom properties and 1 plugin for the edit tab row.

Now I want to export these but to my amazement it seems that the EPiServer Manager requires you to have IIS?

Im on a Vista machine and I use VS2005 and the ASP.NET developement server to test out the things Ive made. (It also seems that the manager have problem running under Vista but thats another issue..)

Sooo anyone have a clue how to export these 4 things? 

(Ive been told that the manager can export stuff into a zip file kinda thingie and that you can take that zip to another installation of EPiServer and just "install" it there.. is this assumption correct?)

Sep 23, 2008 10:36
Vote:

To export your pages,properties etc developed in episerver. Go to the Admin section in the Admin Tabs -> Tools section select Export Data. It will give you a list of what you want to export, select which ever your want to export (you can also export your plugin file) and click the Export button. It will prompt for where you want to save the export data file. Choose your location and transfer the file where you want it.

Hope this is helpful

Sep 23, 2008 11:45
Vote:

Hi and thanks for the reply.

Ah, so you can export everything from there hm.. Gotta check it out, I thought it was only pages you could export there :D But if you can export plugins and custom properties that would rock!

Sep 23, 2008 12:28
Vote:

Hm hm hm doesnt seem to be  good way to solve this.

Does this sound stupid:

Distribute the assembly and ask customers to put it in the bin folder.

Distribute the folder containing the aspx files for the page and the plugin for edit view and ask the customers to put it in their document root.

THEN export (in EPiServer CMS) the page type  and a few tabs.

THEN write installation documentation of how to add the 2 custom properties by using the create button under "Edit custom property types".

The plug-in for the edit panel will be found because EPiServer searches thru all assemblies looking for the plugin annotation?

Sep 23, 2008 14:28
Vote:

The custom properties will also be found automatically by episerver, so you can skip the step with creating them via episerver.

Sep 24, 2008 9:34
Vote:

You can export property definition and pages through admin-mode. and the assembly ( the dll ) you have you could just copy to the live site. You can even create your own package . Mari has wrote a good blog about it

Sep 24, 2008 9:42
Vote:

Hi and thank you both, that blog explains it well and its nice to see that you dont have to manually install custom properties. Gonna try this out now.
Sep 24, 2008 11:02
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.