Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Strange multilanguage behavior


I got a strange behavior in our multilanguage solution where we have NO, DK and DE as languages. when you type in the one of the urls (eks: it sometimes comes up with the DK or the DE site, but if you keep hitting refresh it finally goes to the NO site in the end. the same happens if you try to go from either of DK, DE or NO.

 we have in our <siteHosts> in web.config:

<add name="" language="de" />
  <add name="" language="de" />

<add name="" language="no" />
  <add name="" language="no" />

<add name="" language="dk" />
  <add name="" language="dk" /> 

 We only have one sitesettings. 

Anyone seen this before? 

Oct 07, 2009 9:27


 I know that we had a bug in the first EPiServer CMS 5 release where this behaviour would sometimes appear. The bug has been fixed altough I'm not 100% sure what version the fix was included in. In which version are you experiencing the problem?

Linus Ekström
EPiServer Development Team

Oct 07, 2009 9:58

We have a registered bug related to this issue. This bug was registered for CMS 5 R2 SP2 specifically.

Bug #26828: Sitehosts settings and cache

There is hotfix for this issue.Contact EPiServer Support for the hotfix

Oct 07, 2009 10:45


We are upgrading the solution from EPiServer 6 (not R2) to EPiServer 7, and after upgrade and deploying to production it looks like we have almost the same behavior as Kjetil described:

For example, I open and see content in English; in another browser I open and there I also see content in English.

After some period (about 2 minutes) I refresh and see content in Swedish. Then I refresh - and there I see content in Swedish too.

Can anyone help with this?

Jan 31, 2014 9:28

Do you have output caching turned on?

If so the default behaviour for output caching is to cache for Path part (note that host is not part of Path), that is the Startpage will be cached for path "/" for all startpages will be output cached for same path.

If you set attribute in httpCacheVaryByCustom=host on element applicationSettings in episerver.config then the output cache should take host into consideration during output caching.

Jan 31, 2014 11:39
Thanks Johan, you sent me the right way :) The problem was in output cache on StartPage.
Jan 31, 2014 13:25
This topic was created over six months ago and has been resolved. If you have a similar question, please create a new topic and refer to this one.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.