Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Custom Property Unable to save value

Vote:

We have couple of custom properties. During saving of a custom property we are getting following error:

Multiple controls with the same ID 'EditFormBody0' were found. FindControl requires that controls have unique IDs.

This property is adding a user control to a update panel and allows user to multi select child page of certain types. I did not find any issue with code. Any help will be appreciated.

Stacktrace:

[HttpException (0x80004005): Multiple controls with the same ID 'EditFormBody0' were found. FindControl requires that controls have unique IDs.] System.Web.UI.Control.FillNamedControlsTable(Control namingContainer, ControlCollection controls) +273 System.Web.UI.Control.FillNamedControlsTable(Control namingContainer, ControlCollection controls) +320 System.Web.UI.Control.FillNamedControlsTable(Control namingContainer, ControlCollection controls) +320 System.Web.UI.Control.EnsureNamedControlsTable() +61 System.Web.UI.Control.FindControl(String id, Int32 pathOffset) +222 System.Web.UI.Control.FindControl(String id, Int32 pathOffset) +255 System.Web.UI.Control.FindControl(String id) +12 EPiServer.UI.WebControls.TabStrip.FindTarget() +176 EPiServer.UI.WebControls.TabStrip.ActivateSelectedTab() +64 EPiServer.UI.WebControls.TabStrip.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +47 System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +50 System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +141 System.Web.UI.Control.AddedControl(Control control, Int32 index) +265 System.Web.UI.ControlCollection.Add(Control child) +80 EPiServer.UI.WebControls.PropertyDataForm.CreateChildControls() +1785 System.Web.UI.Control.EnsureChildControls() +87 System.Web.UI.Control.FindControl(String id, Int32 pathOffset) +23 System.Web.UI.Control.FindControl(String id, Int32 pathOffset) +327 System.Web.UI.Control.FindControl(String id, Int32 pathOffset) +327 System.Web.UI.Control.FindControl(String id, Int32 pathOffset) +327 System.Web.UI.Control.FindControl(String id, Int32 pathOffset) +327 System.Web.UI.Page.FindControl(String id) +38 System.Web.UI.Page.RegisterRequiresClearChildControlState(Control control) +326 System.Web.UI.Control.ClearChildControlState() +53 System.Web.UI.Control.ClearChildState() +12 EPiServer.UI.WebControls.PropertyDataForm.editPanel_SavedChanges(Object sender, EventArgs e) +189 System.EventHandler.Invoke(Object sender, EventArgs e) +0 EPiServer.UI.Edit.EditPanel.SavePage() +474 EPiServer.UI.Edit.EditPageButtonControl.Save(SaveAction saveAction, Boolean goToViewPage) +96 EPiServer.UI.Edit.EditPageButtonControl.SaveOnly_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e) +48 EPiServer.UI.WebControls.ToolButton.OnClick(EventArgs e) +141 EPiServer.UI.WebControls.ToolButton.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) +178 System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(IPostBackEventHandler sourceControl, String eventArgument) +13 System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(NameValueCollection postData) +36 System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +1565

Nov 01, 2010 23:43
Vote:

I don't have an answer, but Google turned up this --

http://ndthangnb.blogspot.com/2010/04/systemwebhttpunhandledexception.html

-- which I suspect is a Web site of one of EPiServer's support staff (they're based out of Vietnam).  No clear resolution, but it looks like a known bug -- #27295 -- which is fixed and will ship in the next version.  I would open an official support incident to confirm.

Nov 02, 2010 2:47
Vote:

Hi,

Yes, this is a registered bug and it has been fixed for EPiServer CMS 6.

Nov 02, 2010 9:17
Vote:

Thanks for reply, I had read this earlier, but I am using Episerver 5.2 R2 and need some kind of work around or resolution.

May be re-defining/code property or handling / overriding any method might help. Can any one know details of the fix/where to fix.

I cannot upgrade solution as it is working for couple of years and no plan for upgrade. Need to deliver this for a very small enhancement.

Sanjay Zalke

Nov 02, 2010 10:28
Vote:

Thanks for reply, I had read this earlier, but I am using Episerver 5.2 R2 and need some kind of work around or resolution.

May be re-defining/code property or handling / overriding any method might help. Can any one know details of the fix/where to fix.

I cannot upgrade solution as it is working for couple of years and no plan for upgrade. Need to deliver this for a very small enhancement.

Sanjay Zalke

Nov 02, 2010 10:28
Vote:

Sorry for posting twice earlier, so the core issue is with Gridview and custom property. So if I use repeater or some other control then I should be able to save the value? If this is the case which control is best or not have issues with custom property?

Sanjay Zalke

Nov 02, 2010 10:38
Vote:

Hi,

It seems you cannot fix it yourself. This change was made in the file EPiServer.UI.WebControls.PropertyDataForm.cs

/// <summary>
/// Load and translate tab headers.
/// </summary>
private void LoadTabHeaders()
{
    _tabs.Clear(); //added
    _tabs.AddRange(TabDefinition.List());
}

Where _tabs is a TabDefinitionCollection. You need a way to access that variable and call Clear(). But I don't think it's possible.
But I think the bug only relates to the specific control, ListView.

Nov 02, 2010 10:42
Vote:

Thanks for reply, I found the work around. I use repeater in place of grid view. We had parent child controls, so I had to change on both controls. The great thing is with minimal changes this is working now.

Thanks for helping guys, keep the great work.

Sanjay Zalke

Nov 02, 2010 11:22
This topic was created over six months ago and has been resolved. If you have a similar question, please create a new topic and refer to this one.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.