Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Temporary ASP.NET files

Vote:

I have a user control "shortcuts" on a page and wanted to copy it to get a similar function.

I copied the shortcuts.ascx and .cs-file --> changed some names (to avoid duplicates) and style classes --> compiled and it worked as intended in my test environment.

On production server, however, I get an error message referring to the Temporary ASP.NET files:
"...is defined in multiple places using definition from C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\......\Temporary ASP.NET Files"

I read somewhere I should shut down the IIS and delete all files in Temporary ASP.NET Files folder - and then restart IIS.

I am an amateur at this, so I'm a bit worried - can this cause any trouble with my website? Why does this problem occur, is there possibly something wrong with my code even though it compiles and works in my test environment?

Mar 22, 2010 8:55
Vote:

Yes, I would try that. You might have some problems deleting those files (they're probably in use). I use a tool called Unlocker to help me with deleting files like that. Ones your web application starts again, it will copy the files to the Temporary ASP.NET Files folder again.

Frederik

Mar 22, 2010 9:32
Vote:

Thank you, I will try that.

: )

/Jenny

Mar 22, 2010 10:05
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.