Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

cant run ASP alongside ASPX

Vote:

Ok, this one is really not important but I'd like to hear from anyone who can answer this. After upgrading from 3.5 to 4.30 and from windows 2k to w2k3 I cant run any ASP pages alongside ASPX pages in the root folder of EPiServer. The reason we initally wanted to do this was because a lot of users (of potential 8000) had a shortcut in their favourites which would point to /startpage.asp but the new site is now /default.aspx. The idea was to redirect them to /default.aspx after a little bit of info on how they could and why they should change their shortcut. We managed to solve the problem a different way but the question still remains unanswered...Why cant we run the ASP page? The error we got was "ASP: this type cannot be served" or something similar. In several virtual directories we run several different ASP applications so I know that ASP can run on the server - but just not in the episerver folder. Can someone please enlighten me?
Feb 14, 2005 15:17
Vote:

As long as you've enabled "Active Server Pages" under IIS 6 Web Service Extensions, the next thing to check for is that the .asp extension really maps to "C:\WINDOWS\system32\inetsrv\asp.dll" on the specific website. /Steve
Feb 14, 2005 19:24
Vote:

yes and yes. Like I said on the same website there are many virtual folders housing different ASP based systems used on the intranet. They all work. Could it be something in the web.config? The error is: Server Error in '/' Application. -------------------------------- This type of page is not served. Description: The type of page you have requested is not served because it has been explicitly forbidden. The extension '.asp' may be incorrect. Please review the URL below and make sure that it is spelled correctly. Requested Url: /tg.asp ------------------------------ Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.2032; ASP.NET Version:1.1.4322.2032 Under home directory->configuration->mappings all the usual .asa, .asp ISAPI extensions are there. for .asp the verbs allowed are: GET, HEAD, POST script engine: true verify exists: true cache ISAPI extensions: true In the ISAPI Filters there is fpexedl.dll and nothing else. It couldnt be because frontpage extensions are installed?
Feb 15, 2005 9:27
Vote:

It seems like a configuration error. Check your machine.config, or any web.config in the application hierarchy, and look for: This is put there by default, to prevent handing .asp files to the asp.net engine, which cannot parse .asp files. The error you describe is indeed a .NET error, which usually means that the .asp extension is mapped to "aspnet_isapi.dll" not "asp.dll" under IIS, Site Properties, Home Directory, Configuration, Mappings. Steve
Feb 15, 2005 10:13
Vote:

I'll try that - I have done some of my own testing and I did manage to work around the problem by putting the asp handler in with the wildcard mappings section above the asp.net this just caused other problems - like the whole site dont work anymore :) but the asp page worked ;)
Feb 15, 2005 10:35
Vote:

the line: exists in my machine config under "C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\CONFIG" httpHandlers section looks like this: there is no mention of asp in the web.config.
Feb 15, 2005 10:42
Vote:

And the .asp mapping in IIS is?
Feb 15, 2005 10:57
Vote:

Ah, I thought I answered that earlier.. it was yes it is pointing at C:\WINDOWS\system32\inetsrv\asp.dll
Feb 15, 2005 11:08
Vote:

Hm, strange. As I wrote above, seems like the .asp file is handled by the asp.net isapi filter. Given the asp.net exception you've got. That is where I'd start digging. Good luck :-) /Steve
Feb 15, 2005 11:52
Vote:

Thanks for all the help Steve. Im not too concerned right now because we have a solution in place. But im going to have to remove that solution to make the UFS work. So worst case, we will have to deal with several support phone calls from users who dont know how to change their shortcuts! They have had a few weeks to do it now...
Feb 15, 2005 12:11
Vote:

One last question: Do you think it would help to remove the application under Home Directory and create a new one? /John
Feb 15, 2005 12:14
Vote:

Have you tried letting the IIS do the redirect instead of in the ASP code? It might not be a solution, but it would provide a workaround. I.e., instead of having a Response.Redirect (or whatever you're using) in the code, you tell IIS to redirect to another URL when requesting that page (properties on the file from the IIS Admin). /Magnus
Feb 15, 2005 16:04
Vote:

Thats similar to what we do now but better as it allows me to keep the redirect in place and work on the Unified File System. Thanks Magnus - perfect!
Feb 15, 2005 17:13
Vote:

I know this thread is old, but I just found out how to solve this one correctly and thus posting it in case someone else searches for a solution to this: Under the Application Configuration in IIS, on the "Mappings" tab, there is a Wildcard Application Mapping to aspnet_isapi.dll that prevents executing of ASP pages, regardless of the correct mapping of .asp to asp.dll. Now, I assume EPiServer needs this, so the solution to execute ASP pages is to put them in a separate folder, create a separate application for them and remove this mapping. Joakim
Mar 09, 2006 20:28
Vote:

Adding to Joakim's comment, in IIS under Web Sites, right-click the name of your site, then go to Home Directory tab > Configuration > Mappings tab. Click "Add..." under Application extensions. Browse for asp.dll for Executable, then type "asp" for extension.  Leave the wildcard application mapping alone. Click OK. That should allow you to use asp files with your aspx files. It worked for me, and you shouldn't have any problems after that.
Aug 25, 2009 19:10
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.