Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Text search

Vote:

Now that the ability to search for pages with wildcard (*) in EPiServer.WebControls.PageSearch is removed. We need a new function in the DataFactory class that is similar to what we used to be able do with PageSearch. Earlier I could use PageSearch to implement search ability for the end users within a limited area of the site, with filters and text search. For example search of news archive. I defaulted the querystring to * if the user didn't supply a query. Now in 4.60 wildcard search with * doesn't return any pages, forcing me to making different search functions depending on if the user supplied an querystring or not. I see 2 solutions to the problems caused by this "bug fix". 1. Add a boolean property to the PageSearch wether or not to allow wildcard. 2. Add similar, text search, functionality to the DataFactory Class. /HAXEN
May 09, 2006 8:53
Vote:

Hi Håkan, this was a bug in the search engine that replace the unknown character (in this case *) with an empty string after the validation that the user has written any text to search for. In pre EPiServer 4.60 this function returned all pages that have been indexed that coast a lot of CPU and disk usage and was not the right way to do this. If you want to return all pages below a certain page I recommend you to list all its children recursively or make a property search.
May 09, 2006 10:33
Vote:

As it turns out i can get the same result as earlier with * wildcard using an empty string instead. What's the difference? Will that be considered as a bug in the next version? Would be nice to have such information in the SDK, specially now that the behaivour is chaged from earlier versions. /HAXEN
May 09, 2006 14:20
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.