Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Categories & Localization

Vote:

Hello all,

We use categories extensively, and the category's Display Name is often displayed on webpages.  We need to localize the Display Name value of categories.  I have found a few posts pertaining to category localization in CMS-6 & 7, but is any of that useful in CMS-12?

Is creating an XML file still the way?  If so (sigh), how do I set up a file for Categories and configure for it?  XML file-based localization is a dreadful setup for display values used and shown externally.

Regarding the new CMS-12 editor, I am really missing the collapsible grouping!

Has any third-party created a CMS-12 ready admin editor with localization for Categories?

Any other ideas?

Thanks, Kevin

Nov 10, 2023 20:15
Vote:

What are you using for Categories ? Have you checked out Geta.Optimizely.Categories, It supports localization (without XML) although I have not made use of localization of categories though.

Edited, Nov 10, 2023 20:29
Kevin Gainey - Nov 10, 2023 21:22
I’ll check it out on Monday. Thanks!
Vote:

While Geta.Optimizely.Categories looks like a pretty good alternative to the Opti categories, it also looks like it requires a migration process.  Our categories are heavily utilized throughout our 17 sites, but localization is only needed in one.  I think the migration process involves more risk than our need warrants.

Nov 13, 2023 14:44
Vote:

While am not sure how your categories are created or used, another thing you can check is DbLocalizationProvider.EpiServer can be of any help. We use it to localize our site labels/texts which provides a editor interface in CMS.

Nov 13, 2023 15:37
Vote:

I looked at it, and it seems similar to the Geta solution in terms of implementation effort.  I am realizing that any dynamic solution probably requires lots of code reference updates.

Maybe I'll just use the XML files.

Now, I just need to know how to set up a file for Categories and configure for its use!

Edited, Nov 13, 2023 15:54
Vote:

Neither of the solutions suggested involved keeping the Opti categories.  Considering our need isn't significant, changing all the code references to use a different data structure is not worth the risk.

Closing this as unsolved.

Nov 27, 2023 15:20
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.