Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Redirecting old links after rebuilding

Vote:

Hi everyone, i presume this question has been asked before but i didn't find any good answer for it so I'm hoping for one now.

We recently upgraded from CMS 4.6x to 5.2.X and during that process we also rebuilt our URLs (before we had only page-id:s in the url) to textbased URLS. The effect of that is that the old links doesn't work. They end up on our site, just at the wrong page. Now I'm wondering, is there any good way to internatly redirect old links to new ones in CMS 5?

Old link = /templates/AssociationStartPage.aspx?id=8419 (this one now ends at a real page but a faulty one)

New link = /text-text/moretext

I want to redirect the old to the new. ;-D

Greatful for any help!

/Regards Gunnar Idesten

Feb 15, 2010 10:33
Vote:

This is a bug in the later versions of CMS 5. I think it was R2 SP2 where it first appeared. The problem is that the URL rewriter seems to lose the page ID somehow, so what it does is basically to load the startpage with some more or less empty PageData object for every page.

I had several contacts with episerver in this issue, and at first it was closed as "by design". After several more contacts it was accepted as a bug, but one that would not be prioritized for the first release of CMS 6. Since I needed a fix for CMS 5 (CMS 6 upgrade is after all a risk too, and it was months away back then) I wrote my own rewriter which would tolerate the non-friendly URLs. It worked brilliantly on IIS5/6 but I could never get it to work with the customer's IIS7. So no solution there. The customer decided to re-enter all the URLs (that were selected hits in SiteSeeker) so I stopped digging for a solution.

Feb 15, 2010 14:36
Vote:

Magnus, i'm curious how you wrote your rewriter?

I have written a rewriter for this issue, trying to capture any PageReference.EmptyReference inside my ConvertToExternaInternal-method. After capturing this i'm trying to parse the url but it seems that it's not possible to get the id-querystrings from the url. How did you solve this one?

Edited, Mar 01, 2010 17:31
Vote:

Mar 02, 2010 7:06
This thread is locked and should be used for reference only. Please use the Episerver CMS 7 and earlier versions forum to open new discussions.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.