Don't miss out Virtual Happy Hour this Friday (April 26).

Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

This instance does not represent a relative UrlBuilder, and non-rooted paths are not valid in this case.

Vote:

Hello all,

I am fairly new to EPiServer and this is my first project; I have tried to import the Blog functionality from the AlloysTech project. Everything compiles successfully and on creatation of a 'Personal Blog Page' document the page is created and so are the sub 'Dates' and 'Tags' page but now I am getting the following error:

Server Error in '/' Application.

This instance does not represent a relative UrlBuilder, and non-rooted paths are not valid in this case.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. 

Exception Details: System.InvalidOperationException: This instance does not represent a relative UrlBuilder, and non-rooted paths are not valid in this case.

Source Error: 

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace: 

[InvalidOperationException: This instance does not represent a relative UrlBuilder, and non-rooted paths are not valid in this case.]
   EPiServer.UrlBuilder.set_Path(String value) +124
   EPiServer.Web.FriendlyUrlRewriteProvider.HandleQueryCollection(UrlBuilder url, PageData page, PageReference pageReferenceById, CultureInfo requestedCulture) +65
   EPiServer.Web.FriendlyUrlRewriteProvider.FindInternalObjectAndLanguage(UrlBuilder url, Object& internalObject, LanguageBranch& languageBranch) +563
   EPiServer.Web.FriendlyUrlRewriteProvider.ConvertToInternalFacade(UrlBuilder url, LanguageApiMode apiMode, Object& internalObject, LanguageBranch& languageBranch) +22
   EPiServer.Web.FriendlyUrlRewriteProvider.TryConvertToInternal(UrlBuilder url, LanguageApiMode apiMode, CultureInfo& preferredCulture, Object& internalObject) +237
   EPiServer.Web.FriendlyUrlRewriteProvider.TryConvertToInternal(UrlBuilder url, CultureInfo& preferredCulture, Object& internalObject) +15
   EPiServer.Web.UrlRewriteModule.HttpUrlRewriteToInternal(UrlBuilder url) +349
   EPiServer.Web.UrlRewriteModuleBase.BeginRequestEventHandler(Object sender, EventArgs e) +158
   System.Web.SyncEventExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute() +68
   System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously) +75

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.3620; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.3618

I am not sure whether this is related to the Blogs integration or not; I checked the EPISever.config and this seems to be in place:

<urlRewrite defaultProvider="EPiServerFriendlyUrlRewriteProvider">
<providers>
<add name="EPiServerFriendlyUrlRewriteProvider" description="EPiServer standard Friendly URL rewriter" type="EPiServer.Web.FriendlyUrlRewriteProvider,EPiServer" />
<add name="EPiServerIdentityUrlRewriteProvider" description="EPiServer identity URL rewriter" type="EPiServer.Web.IdentityUrlRewriteProvider,EPiServer" />
<add name="EPiServerNullUrlRewriteProvider" description="EPiServer bypass URL rewriter" type="EPiServer.Web.NullUrlRewriteProvider,EPiServer" />
</providers>
</urlRewrite>

Now I am kind of out of ideas; can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

Andy

Oct 11, 2011 12:52
Vote:

Hi,

I too am having this error, however for me I have created a vanilla site (like the one on the "Getting Started" page of the SDK). I created a new Page in Edit Mode and the page saves and publishes correctly, however on display I get the same error message as Andy (above).

I assume its a path issue within the config somewhere. That or I have not set up friendly URL's properly. Can anyone advise? The error message itself has thrown me, it does no seem to indicate what or where the error actually is...

Copy of my error:

This instance does not represent a relative UrlBuilder, and non-rooted
paths are not valid in this case.

Description:
An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web
request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and
where it originated in the code.

Exception Details:
System.InvalidOperationException: This instance does not represent a
relative UrlBuilder, and non-rooted paths are not valid in this
case.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the
current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the
exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[InvalidOperationException: This instance does not represent a relative UrlBuilder, and non-rooted paths are not valid in this case.]
   EPiServer.UrlBuilder.set_Path(String value) +159
   EPiServer.Web.FriendlyUrlRewriteProvider.HandleQueryCollection(UrlBuilder url, PageData page, PageReference pageReferenceById, CultureInfo requestedCulture) +141
   EPiServer.Web.FriendlyUrlRewriteProvider.FindInternalObjectAndLanguage(UrlBuilder url, Object& internalObject, LanguageBranch& languageBranch) +844
   EPiServer.Web.FriendlyUrlRewriteProvider.ConvertToInternalFacade(UrlBuilder url, LanguageApiMode apiMode, Object& internalObject, LanguageBranch& languageBranch) +49
   EPiServer.Web.FriendlyUrlRewriteProvider.TryConvertToInternal(UrlBuilder url, LanguageApiMode apiMode, CultureInfo& preferredCulture, Object& internalObject) +342
   EPiServer.Web.FriendlyUrlRewriteProvider.TryConvertToInternal(UrlBuilder url, CultureInfo& preferredCulture, Object& internalObject) +45
   EPiServer.Web.UrlRewriteModule.HttpUrlRewriteToInternal(UrlBuilder url) +540
   EPiServer.Web.UrlRewriteModuleBase.BeginRequestEventHandler(Object sender, EventArgs e) +246
   System.Web.SyncEventExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute() +68
   System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously) +75
Nov 29, 2011 17:04
Vote:

Even am facing the same error do you have any solution for this? realy helpful

Edited, Jan 24, 2012 11:42
Vote:

Hi Vijaya,

Unfortunatly for me I resolved this by reverse engineering an Alloy example site, as this was the quickest way to 'get working again'.

I can only summise that there was an error in my configuration somewhere (IIS or web.config), as even emptying anAlloy site and refactoring to the new site name kept friendly URL's working for me.

Jan 24, 2012 12:19
Vote:

FYI I had this problem recently with a vanilla site, and the problem is when you create your page type and forget the leading slash (/) in the path to the template file.

Mar 23, 2012 17:08
Vote:

I too had this error when using CMS6R2.  I fixed it buy changing the \ (back slash)'s to / (forward slash)'s in the template path file.

I'm sure this was part of the form validation in older versions of EpiServer.

Aug 02, 2012 17:09
Vote:

Graham Fieldhouse  had the right answere for me.  It was the initial slash in the template path that needed to be switched.

Edited, Oct 24, 2012 22:43
This thread is locked and should be used for reference only. Please use the Episerver CMS 7 and earlier versions forum to open new discussions.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.