Don't miss out Virtual Happy Hour this Friday (April 26).

Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

VPP Error while setting up site in Windows 2008 Standard R2

Vote:

Hi,

I'm getting the following error while setting up the site in Windows server 2008. This site was running fine in IIS 6 (.Net 3.5) and I tried to migrate to Windows 2008/IIS 7 and Net 4.0. I'm not sure if I'm missing any setting(s). Kindly help

I getting this error from global.asax

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]
   System.Web.Security.UrlAuthorizationModule.CheckUrlAccessForPrincipal(String virtualPath, IPrincipal user, String verb) +791

Error details picked from episerver log:

2011-12-08 16:30:55,908 ERROR [1] EPiServer.Web.InitializeEngine.Initialize - InitializeAction on method <StaticInitialization>b__4 failed
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at System.Web.Security.UrlAuthorizationModule.CheckUrlAccessForPrincipal(String virtualPath, IPrincipal user, String verb)
   at EPiServer.Web.Hosting.VirtualPathNativeProvider.QueryAccess(String virtualPath, IPrincipal user)
   at EPiServer.Web.Hosting.UnifiedDirectory.QueryDistinctAccess(AccessLevel access)
   at EPiServer.Web.Hosting.VirtualPathNativeProvider.GetDirectory(String virtualPath)
   at EPiServer.Web.Hosting.VirtualPathHandler.InitializeProviders(ProviderSettingsCollection providers, Boolean captureCustomExceptions)
   at EPiServer.Web.InitializationModule.InitializeVirtualPathProviders(VirtualPathElement vpElement)
   at EPiServer.Web.InitializeEngine.Initialize()
   at EPiServer.Web.InitializationModule.Initialize(EPiServerSection config, Settings settings, ConnectionStringSettingsCollection connectionStringSettings)
   at EPiServer.Web.InitializeEngine.Initialize()

Thanks in advance,

senthil.

Dec 08, 2011 19:08
Vote:

There are quite a lot of differences in configs between IIS6 and IIS7 so they generally don't work just by moving from one environment to another. .NET4 is an extra complication even though it is generally smaller. I suggest you roll back to .NET 3.5 and then look at these articles and others to try to get your config to work:

http://world.episerver.com/Documentation/Items/Tech-Notes/EPiServer-CMS-5/EPiServer-CMS-5-R2-SP1/Changes-Between-IIS6-and-IIS7/ (never mind it is for CMS 5 R2, the basic differences between IIS 6 and 7 remain)

http://www.markeverard.com/blog/2010/05/21/default-episerver-web-configs-for-iis6-and-iis7/ (for default configs)

Generally it is good advice to install a default site in your target environment (IIS7) and then use the configs from the default site as a template to which you add the things that are specific to your site.

Dec 08, 2011 20:29
Vote:

Hi Magnus,
Thanks a lot for the suggestion. The idea of installing the default site and the links helped to find the differences.

regards,

senthil.

Dec 22, 2011 11:26
This thread is locked and should be used for reference only. Please use the Episerver CMS 7 and earlier versions forum to open new discussions.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.