Don't miss out Virtual Happy Hour this Friday (April 26).

Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

How does the license model work?

Vote:

Hi

I have read about license, but I dont get it.
There is a demo license which is valid for 30 days. Then what?
There is a developer license valid for a year. I have requested a developer license using my private mac address.
What if I need to learn epi both at work and at home? (I might devlop at work, and play around with Alloy at home)

It has been almost 2 hours since I requested a license. How long do I need to wait?

Have a nice weekend =)

Mar 24, 2012 17:55
Vote:

The partner developer license is only sent out during business hours, since the order needs to be handled manually by an EPiServer employee. Of course, you can only get a partner developer license if you work for a registered EPiServer partner.

You should be able to use the demo license for almost all test purposes. Just get a new demo license when it expires after 30 days and overwrite the old one. Just remember to never use a demo/partner license for any live sites.

The MAC on your network card should be the same whether you are at work or at home, so a demo/partner license bound to your MAC should work fine.

Mar 24, 2012 18:35
Vote:

Hi Arild and thanks for helping me out.

You say: " The MAC on your network card should be the same whether you are at work or at home, so a demo/partner license bound to your MAC should work fine."

I'm not sure I follow you. I have two different computers for private use and for work, this of course gives me two different mac addresses.
Will it still work?

Or should I use developer license at work, and demo at home?
Can I order a new demo license after 28 days, in order to minimize the glitch?

Thank you.....

Mar 24, 2012 21:32
Vote:

I assumed you used the same computer (laptop) at work and at home. Yes, they will have different MACs and you'll need one license for each with correct MACs.

You can order as many demo licenses as often as you like. They are automatically generated and so you will not cause a poor EPiServer employee headaches or inflamed wrists from generating these, as you might with partner developer licenses  :-)

Your site will still work if your demo license expires, but it will display a big license warning box in the middle of the page. Most people use partner developer licenses to avoid having to renew them during the development of a project. 

Mar 25, 2012 4:02
Vote:

Ok Arild I think I got it.
I ordered a demo license yesterday, and still nothing. I'll try later today.

Thank you for your time......

Mar 25, 2012 7:42
Vote:

Also note that for running your EPiServer site in the built-in Visual Studio web server (AKA Cassini) you don't need any license file at all.

Mar 25, 2012 11:07
Vote:

Good point Johan. However if the project is run on IIS, it is also worth noting EPiServer recently changed the license terms so that the same developer license can be shared between up to 15 sites on the same machine, so you won't have to order separate licenses for each site. http://world.episerver.com/Blogs/Allan-Thran/Dates/2011/11/Due-to-popular-demand-Partner-developer-licenses-now-support-multiple-sites-on-same-machine/

Mar 25, 2012 13:09
This thread is locked and should be used for reference only. Please use the Episerver CMS 7 and earlier versions forum to open new discussions.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.