Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Fallback on unpublished language version don't work

Vote:

If a page has several language versions, and one of them is removed - the fallback function is not working properly. Does we or EPiServer have a solution of how to fix this?

For example: A page is created in english, but a swedish version is also created. The swedish version is unpublished (but not the english) I f someone tries to go towards the swedish version, the fallback routine is no longer kicking in since there is a swedish version of the page.

May 23, 2012 8:58
Vote:

Hi Dan!

Since EPiServer does not have an "unpublished" concept I'm guessing that you are setting the stop publish date. I tested this and fallback language does not, as you say, work for languages that have been published but passed their stop publish date.

I have been discussing this internally and it's not obvious how you would like the system to work for this case. Does a stop publish date mean stop publish this news in this language? Or should it return to displaying the fallback language?

Currently, if you want to get back to display the fallback language the way to go is to remove the delete the language for the page that you do not want any more. This can be done be right clicking on the page in the page tree and select "Delete language".

Regards
Linus Ekström
EPiServer Development Team

May 23, 2012 10:01
Vote:

Hi Linus.

You comfirmed my guess, thanks. Not the answer I was hoping for, but the one I expected :)

Our publishers would like the unpublished page to act as if it was deleted so they don't need to go through all the unpublished language version and remove them, as in the fallback language routine should kick in when a languange version is unpoublished. Since we are currently using 13 languages on about 20000 pages it makes the work slightly daunting :)

Regards,

Dan Lindeberg

May 24, 2012 8:23
This thread is locked and should be used for reference only. Please use the Episerver CMS 7 and earlier versions forum to open new discussions.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.