Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

File Manager Bloat

Vote:

I'm wondering if anyone can shed some light on how the backend of the File Manager works.

With our recent upgrade to CMS6R2, we noticed our VPP folders had grown to a ridiculous size. I have been sorting through our File Manager to find massive files and unneeded items to help reduce it's size (just about 3 gigs).

I know versioning keeps past documents and it explains why my 3 gigs is now almost 4 gigs (as I've replaced very large images with appropriate web friendly sizes). Is there a way to reduce the number of versions? Is the File Manager version tool governed by the version settings for pages?

Aside from the versioning, does anyone have any recommendations or tips on managing files across multiple sites like this? 

Any insight as to how to help clean up this massive mess I have would be appreciated.

|AAron

Jul 19, 2012 18:33
Vote:

You can turn off versioning if you want, in episerver.config under virtualPath and providers you can configure everything you need (also max versions).

Hope this helps

Frederik

Jul 20, 2012 11:17
Vote:

If I turn off versioning on the VPPs, will it immediately erase all past versions of the files or will it just continue moving forward?

The reason I ask is because we had a user who uploaded very large images and then corrected themselves by uploading web resolution, replacing them. However, versioning still has them eating up a large amount of space.

Thanks again for the insight!

|AAron

Jul 20, 2012 17:13
This thread is locked and should be used for reference only. Please use the Episerver CMS 7 and earlier versions forum to open new discussions.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.