Don't miss out Virtual Happy Hour this Friday (April 26).

Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

How to achieve description of image stored in the file manager of Episerver

Vote:

Hi,

I have a problem achieving the meta data from files stored in the file manager in Episerver.

There is a function in our solution that is supposed to fix this, but often it doesn't work.

I use the function below to get description information from the files, but very often it returns nothing.

Anyone have a better/safer method to get the description information stored on files in Episerver - File manager?

Caller:

String imagedescription = GetMetaDataFromImageURL(CurrentPage["MainIntroPicture"].ToString(), "Description");

Funcition:

protected static string GetMetaDataFromImageURL(string imageurl, string metainstance)
{

string s = string.Empty;
if (imageurl!=null)
{
UnifiedFile uf = HostingEnvironment.VirtualPathProvider.GetFile(imageurl) as UnifiedFile;
if (uf != null)
{
if (uf.Summary.Dictionary[metainstance] != null)
s = uf.Summary.Dictionary[metainstance].ToString();
}
}
return s;
}

Feb 13, 2013 17:08
Vote:

Just tried your code, it works.

I'm guessing your MainIntroPicture property is of type "URL to image"? (which will render a relative path to the file, like "/Global/Images/mypicture.jpg")

However, you shouldn't do CurrentPage["MainIntroPicture"].ToString(), since it will throw a NULL reference exception if the property has no value set. Do GetMetaDataFromImageURL(CurrentPage["MainIntroPicture"] as string, "Description") instead, or CurrentPage.MainIntroPicture if you're using PTB.

Feb 13, 2013 22:09
Vote:

Good tip Arild, I will change that.

I found the error. They say you can't see the forrest because of all the trees.

Kind of the same here. You can't see the function-error because of all the code.

I was missing Server.UrlDecode on CurrentPage["MainIntroPicture"].

Correct code is:

String imagedescription = GetMetaDataFromImageURL(Server.UrlDecode(CurrentPage["MainIntroPicture"] as String), "Description");

Feb 15, 2013 10:21
This thread is locked and should be used for reference only. Please use the Episerver CMS 7 and earlier versions forum to open new discussions.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.