Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Move site and database

Vote:

Hi all,

We want to upgrade our servers to 64-bit Windows 2008. So my question is: What is the fastest way to move our production EPi-serversite and its database to new servers.

- Clean instalation and then copy files and database

- Copy files and database and then install site

- Something else

/Thanks FF

Dec 01, 2010 11:52
Vote:

What (web) server are you moving the site from?

Dec 01, 2010 12:07
Vote:

We are moving from

32-bit Windows Server  2003 R2 with IIS6

to

64-bit Windows Server 2008 R2 with IIS7

Dec 01, 2010 14:11
Vote:

Then you are possibly facing incompatibilities with web.config. The IIS6 and IIS7 web.config use different elements for many configuration tasks. My suggestion is you do a clean install to get a web.config file from the new server. Then copy your application to the new server and start, using the web.config from the installation as a template, to build your IIS7 compatible web.config and verify that it works.

Edit: To clarify, you can't just diff the web.configs and copy differences that your application has. Things you have configured in the IIS6 web.config you might have to do in a different way in IIS7 to acheive the same result. If you use addon products and frameworks I suggest you install those as well in the demo site to get the IIS7 config for those products aswell.

Edited, Dec 01, 2010 14:43
Vote:

Yup, I agree. Get a demo site up first to make sure you got all settings correct in web.config / file access rights etc (IUSR and IIS_USR etc). When that works, set up your own site in the same spot and use that web.config as a template for you new web.config

Dec 02, 2010 14:36
This thread is locked and should be used for reference only.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.