Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

SQL error installing EPiServer CMS 6 R2

Vote:

..on a Windows 7 x64 machine with SQL Server Express R2 and Visual Studio 2010.

The actual installation was fine, I'm just having trouble running a newly created EPiServer project with the Visual Studio tools. If I follow the instructions listed here[1], when I press F5 (step 3 of the first section) I get the following error:

"A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified)"

Stack Trace: 

[SqlException (0x80131904): A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified)]
System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection) +4856727

Am I missing something? The example website (Alloy Tech) runs fine when I create it with the deployment center.

[1] http://sdk.episerver.com/library/cms6.1/Developers%20Guide/Setting%20Up%20a%20New%20EPiServer%20Site%20with%20Visual%20Studio.htm

Aug 04, 2011 15:52
Vote:

Some more information:

I also get errors on the "Security" tab of the ASP.NET configuration tool. When I choose SqlServerRoleProvider I get this:

A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified)

And for "WindowsRoleProvider": Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

This is my first contact with EPiServer, I'm not exactly sure what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks in advance!

Aug 04, 2011 17:02
Vote:

Hi,

As your database cannot be found, I suspect there's a problem with your connectionString. Can you check your connectionStrings.config file, it should look something like this:

<connectionStrings>
  <add name="EPiServerDB" connectionString="Data Source=myServerAddress;Database=myDataBase;User Id=myDomain\myUsername;Password=myPassword;Network Library=DBMSSOCN;" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" />
</connectionStrings>

Hope this helps!

Karoline

Aug 06, 2011 1:06
Vote:

Hi Karoline,

Thanks for the answer!

Since I just followed the steps oh that page, I don't have a database prepared for the project. Am I correct in guessing that I have to use the EPiServer Deployment Center to create and initialize a new database before running the project?

Greetings,

Lessandro.

Aug 08, 2011 22:12
Vote:

Hi,

You are correct, in the EPiServer Deployment Center you have an option to "Install SQL Database". If you do this, and add a connectionString to your site, you should be one step further on your way :)

Karoline

Aug 09, 2011 8:13
Vote:

On further investigation, what appears to happen is that Visual Studio actually adds a database into the App_Data folder based on a SQLExpress file database. If you have SQLExpress installed I guess it will all work.

Jan 24, 2012 5:14
Vote:

Hi !

I am not sure its a good place to post a question here but i am gona do it because i spend like two days on this already !

I am having problem with installation of EPiServer CMS 6 R2. The problem is in sqlserver which is saying that

"Error :A connection was successfully established with the server, but then an error occured during the login process. (Provider :Shared memory provider, error:0 - No process is on other end of pipe)

Thanks 

Jun 15, 2012 16:07
Vote:

Check that named pipes are enabled on your SQL database. Is this for CMS only or do you have Community as well?

Jun 15, 2012 16:38
Vote:

Yah i checked it and its enabled but still same error. This is just for CMS .

Jun 15, 2012 17:54
Vote:

Hi 

I figured it out and fixed by making shared memory disabled.

But getting other probem now  "Error  Login failed for user 'dbUserMyEpiServerSite". 

I know these issues are simple but i am new to EpIServer so    !.

Thanks 

Jun 15, 2012 21:07
Vote:

Figured out this as well , probelm is with installation of templates . I skip templates and it worked !

Thanks  

Jun 16, 2012 14:36
Vote:

Make sure SQL authentication is enabled. By default only Windows integrated is enabled on sqlserver 2008.

I had the same error. I fixed it by chnaing SQL server's authentication to Mixed mode (SQL and Windows authentication mode)

May 20, 2013 17:14
Vote:

If you are new to EPiServer and are setting up new environment i sugest you install your software with web platform installer from microsoft. You can find the software at: microsoft.com/web then choose dowload and web platform installer. This small program will install everything you need and also setup sql server correct for web usage. 

I wrote a blogpost about this process 2 years ago, a bit old but should explain most topics: http://world.episerver.com/Blogs/Eric-Pettersson/Dates/2011/1/How-to-install-EPiServer-CMS-on-your-own-computer/

May 20, 2013 20:54
Vote:

Hello,

This is old post but my answer will help people in future.

You will get "SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26" while trying to connect to a SQL Server named instance and not when you use default instance. The client stack could not receive SSRP response UDP packet from SQL Browser.

The fast troubleshoot steps:

1. Recheck the server name for any error and fix it
  2. Check the instance name for any error
  3. Check if SQL Server browser is running
  4. Control if this instance exist on server
  5. Ping the server and check if DNS can be resolved correctly

I found helpfuly for my self and you can check the above solutions step by step explained in the following article: https://www.get-itsolutions.com/sql-server-error-26-sql-error-40-fix/

Thnx

Aug 13, 2020 13:30
This thread is locked and should be used for reference only.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.