Magnus Rahl
Feb 18, 2011
  4344
(0 votes)

Todays gotcha: Windows 7 assembly blocking

Yesterday I was playing with our new build server, trying to get it to run my fully-functional unit tests with code coverage analysis. Why that didn’t work is a different story, but in the progress of changing project settings and checking in updates something strange happened. Suddenly my local web site stopped working.

The error message

My local copy of the site with the web root set to my working folder for the project suddenly refused to start, prompting me with the yellow screen of death and this cryptic error message:

Security Exception

Description: The application attempted to perform an operation not allowed by the security policy.  To grant this application the required permission please contact your system administrator or change the application's trust level in the configuration file.
Exception Details: System.Security.SecurityException: Request for the permission of type 'System.Security.Permissions.ReflectionPermission, mscorlib, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089' failed.
Source Error:

Mapper.CreateMap<OtherProject.ClientProxies.Core.Person, MyProject.ExternalDataAccess.DTO.Person>();

(In the example above, I removed all the lines except the one where it indicated failure, which was the first line of my AutoMapper bootstrapper.)

Troubleshooting

I started troubleshooting blindly, rolling back the project, cleaning, rebuilding, checking that all dependencies were copied on build etc. etc., but all looked fine. I then checked the trust settings of IIS in case they had been messed up. No luck there either.

After some time googling I decided to follow a vague tip about checking the properties of all assemblies that are references or other dependences. BOOM – at the very bottom of the properties dialog of the AutoMapper assembly was this message:

This file came from another computer and might be blocked to help protect this computer.

Why on earth Windows had suddenly decided that the assembly came from another computer (and what does that mean, don’t most assemblies come from other computers?) I had no Idea about. But luckily it left me the option to unblock the assembly. After doing so, and after deleting the copy in the bin folder letting the rebuild take a fresh copy the unblocked assembly and finally restarting IIS, the site came back to life.

Feb 18, 2011

Comments

Feb 20, 2011 02:11 PM

This typically happen if you download files using IE, and the site is not among the Trusted Sites (not many are).

I've seen this happen several times, when people deploy to production servers and download the new files by zipping them, sending an email to themselves, and open the email through the browser. The zip file has this blocked flag, and when using Windows Explorer to unzip, all files in the zip fill also be blocked (using 7zip or Winrar remove the block flag when unpacking.) I always check and remove that flag before I unzip anything.

This is especially nasty when you deploy only one new .dll, cause the error message may vary, depending on how that dll is loaded into memory.

Magnus Rahl
Magnus Rahl Feb 20, 2011 08:53 PM

Agreed, it's very deceitful because there's no special error message for this type of "security breach", it will simply depend on the first time anything from that assembly is requested. In my case the clues pointed clearly to AutoMapper, but It might as well have been something deeper within the call stack there. It should really have its own Exception type.

And the ways of assembly blocking must indeed be mysterious, because in my case the AutoMapper dll probably never even left the bin folder. My copy task in the project is set to only replace the files if they have been changed, and I never cleared the bin folder so a fresh copy shouldn't have occurred either. Absolutely no web, email or zipping involved.

Please login to comment.
Latest blogs
Plug-in manager is back in CMS 12

Plug-in manager is back in the UI, what is it and how can i use it?

Luc Gosso (MVP) | Oct 6, 2022 | Syndicated blog

Display Child Pages in Content Delivery API Response

The below example will implement an instance of IContentConverterProvider to customise the serialisation of PageData and output child pages in the...

Minesh Shah (Netcel) | Oct 4, 2022

Bring the Report Center back in Optimizely CMS 12

The Report Center has been a part of Optimizely CMS since its first debut in version 5R2 in 2008, but in CMS 12, it's removed! Don't despair! Make...

Tomas Hensrud Gulla | Oct 4, 2022 | Syndicated blog

Customizing Property Lists in Optimizely CMS

Generic property lists is a cool editorial feature that has gained a lot of popularity - in spite of still being unsupported (officially). But if y...

Allan Thraen | Oct 2, 2022 | Syndicated blog

Optimizely names Luminary Senior Developer, Ynze Nunnink, OMVP

Luminary Senior Developer and Optimizely Lead, Ynze Nunnink has secured the coveted position of Optimizely MVP. Earning a Platinum badge for his...

Ynze | Oct 2, 2022 | Syndicated blog

Content Delivery API – The Case of the Duplicate API Refresh Token

Creating a custom refresh provider to resolve the issues with duplicate tokens in the DXC The post Content Delivery API – The Case of the Duplicate...

David Lewis | Sep 29, 2022 | Syndicated blog