Don't miss out Virtual Happy Hour this Friday (April 26).

Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Prevent page from being changed when I save and publish it programmatically

Vote:

Hi, guys,

How can I prevent page from being changed when I save and publish it programmatically?

Basically, I would like to prevent that ChangedBy and Changed are changed when I add items to a specific content area programmatically.

Thx a lot!

Marija

Dec 15, 2014 11:51
Vote:

Does the ForceCurrentVersion flag update those values?

Dec 15, 2014 12:17
Vote:

Not sure, let me give it a try

Dec 15, 2014 12:19
Vote:

I have to use ForceCurrentVersion  with Publish, otherwise the page doesn't get published at all. This does change the username, but I'll give it some more debugging to make sure I've tried out everything.

Dec 15, 2014 16:12
Vote:

If the page is not already published, and you need to do that, perhaps you could try manually setting the properties for Status, perhaps check IsPendingPublished and also StartPublish.  ForceCurrentVersion will not clear the cache, so you'll probably need to do that as well.

Dec 16, 2014 10:08
Vote:

Hey, Per, thx a lot for your help, this combination worked: SaveAction.CheckIn | SaveAction.ForceCurrentVersion:

contentRepo.Save(clone, SaveAction.CheckIn | SaveAction.ForceCurrentVersion, AccessLevel.NoAccess);

DataFactoryCache.RemovePage(currentPage.ContentLink);

Dec 23, 2014 13:55
Vote:

Dec 24, 2014 12:38
Vote:

I've added the following blog post on the subject: http://www.mogul.com/en/about-mogul/blog/saveactionsave-saveactionforcecurrentversion-doesnt-change-changed-but-does-touch-changedby

Feb 23, 2015 16:48
Vote:

Hi,

thanks for sharing that! There might be a way around the "ChangedBy" though. Have you tried something like this?

var clone = somePage.CreateWritableClone();
            // create a temporary principal with the same name as the current "changedBy" value
            PrincipalInfo.CurrentPrincipal = new GenericPrincipal(new GenericIdentity(somePage.ChangedBy),null);

// modfiy stuff 
            clone.PageName = "My new name";

// .. and save
            contentRepository.Save(clone, SaveAction.Publish, AccessLevel.NoAccess);
Feb 23, 2015 17:54
Vote:

I have thought about it, but it looked dirty. Then I would need to reset back the current principal. Then in future, if someone else gets hold of the code and wraps the actual principal in an if statement, here go the website autorization, everybody gets manager's access rights :D Paranoid or realistic?

Feb 23, 2015 18:14
Vote:

Maybe a little bit of both? :-)

I guess it's not the safest bit of code, but if done right it I wouldn't be too worried. Well.. Until someone else gets hold of the code as you say. 
This blogpost shows a rather clean way of temporary using another principal. Use at own risk I suppose

Feb 24, 2015 8:38
Vote:

I've seen the blogpost, didn't cross my mind that I could use it for my thing ;)

Thx for a nice discussion!

Feb 24, 2015 10:26
Vote:

Feb 24, 2015 11:30
This topic was created over six months ago and has been resolved. If you have a similar question, please create a new topic and refer to this one.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.