Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Container item for email and list of ids

Vote:

Hi 

I need like to give editors the ability to create emails and corresponding list of ids something like:

aaa@aa.dk

a1,a2,a3,a4

bbb@bb.dk

b1,b2,b3,b4

The email and list of ids is to be used internally only. 

I have thought of creating a EPiServer page (lets call it TestSubscriber) with 2 properties, email and a string that will contain comma separated ids like mentioned in the beginning.  

Inside EPiServer Editor interface I will create a container page. The Editors will be able to create n number of TestSubscriber pages that will each contain email and ids. 

Then at last I will have a property in my settingsPage that will be of type LinkItemCollection that will point to the container page, as mentioned earlier. I will then create code that will run through all pages (of the TestSubscriber type) inside the container page and retrieve the email and ids for each page. 

I have some doubts regarding above mentioned design which are:

- I'm creating a page to contain email and ids, its not really a page, rather its just a container for email and ids. But I cannot se other solution, since I want to be able to give editors the ability to define the emails and ids inside episerver editor interface. 

- When creating the TestSubscriber page I will also have to create a controller, otherwise the editors wont be able to right click the container page and say new iten. The controller wont have any real functionality beside this. 

Apr 08, 2016 11:42
Vote:

You can definitely use Episerver to store data like that. Episerver is a great tool for data storage also for things that aren't visible to end user.

I normally keep those kinds of data outside of content structure. You can normally get away with using default controller so you shouldn't need to create your own. A simple view to display data to editors help. You might want to consider storing the ids as separate pages even depending on how likely they are to be expanded with more information. I'm guessing you have a one to many relationship between two entities under the hood. 

Storing in DDS is another option but then you lack the nice editor interface. This can be useful if you have many to many relationships. 

Go for it!

Edited, Apr 08, 2016 12:32
Vote:

Thanks Daniel 

Apr 11, 2016 14:24
This topic was created over six months ago and has been resolved. If you have a similar question, please create a new topic and refer to this one.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.