Virtual Happy Hour this month, Jun 28, we'll be getting a sneak preview at our soon to launch SaaS CMS!

Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

CMS crashes when naming a block property ParentNode


Short version: the CMS crashes when you try to edit a block which has a PageReference property named ParentNode.

I'm upgrading an old project (from 6 R2 to newest version) and we're upgrading the old database. However since I have to change the name of ParentNode to something else, that property's data doesn't stick.

How to recreate:

  1. Start a new EPiServer project. Select empty project. I used .NET Framework 4.7.1.
  2. Create a block model inheriting BlockData that can probably be named anything you want.
  3. Create a PageReference (or ContentReference) property named ParentNode.
  4. Create the block. The CMS will just hang before it can ever load the block properties.

This is the blocktype I tested with:

DisplayName = "Page List Block",
GUID = "9cb392be-3a46-40ea-99fd-a1b0c551eea7"]
public class PageListBlock : BaseBlock
    Name = "Parent node",
    Description = "Parent page of the pages to be listed",
    GroupName = SystemTabNames.Content,
    Order = 100)]
    public virtual PageReference ParentNode { get; set; }

Any suggestions as to why this happens?

EDIT: This happens in two entirely different projects, so it's not a one-off thing.

Edited, Sep 03, 2018 15:30

Hi Vegard,

I think that you should raise a support ticket with support<at>episerver<dot>com.

Sep 04, 2018 1:41

As you say, done. Will see if I remember to post the solution here if there is one

Sep 04, 2018 14:52

Support created a bug report about it which is posted here:

It has been marked "Closed, won't fix", with the note:

In other words, we just can't name a property ParentNode any more.

Sep 18, 2018 10:58
This topic was created over six months ago and has been resolved. If you have a similar question, please create a new topic and refer to this one.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.