Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

"developing for DXC" course exercies B4 - "Continuous integration" does not work

Vote:

Anyone wanting to do this episerver training course to learn how to setup azure pipelines is going to be dissapointed - devops has changed so much that the instructions are now wrong, and the project will not bild in pipelines.

Its a shame they have not kept this critical piece up to date and usable, I really want to figure out how to get pipelines to work with episerver.  Excercises B1, B2 and B3 were no issue, although a lot has changed since the excercies book was written, you can still figure out what needs to be done.  Not so for B4.

I sent feedback in the oneline course, a week ago, but no response.

I also notice a difference in the folder structure when pushed to devops in git.  The examples in the exercise book have "DxcAlloy" as a top level folder in git.  But if you follow the instructions, the there is no top level folder, the root of the git repo has the projects files as it should be, e.g. "views", "static", "Models" dirs are at the top of the git folder structure.

The build error is this:

D:\a\1\s\DxcAlloy.csproj(335,3): error MSB4019: The imported project "C:\Program Files\dotnet\sdk\3.1.202\Microsoft\VisualStudio\v16.0\WebApplications\Microsoft.WebApplication.targets" was not found. Confirm that the expression in the Import declaration "C:\Program Files\dotnet\sdk\3.1.202\Microsoft\VisualStudio\v16.0\WebApplications\Microsoft.WebApplication.targets" is correct, and that the file exists on disk.

Edited, May 30, 2020 15:10
Vote:

Hi johnv,

Thank you for raising your issues with Exercise B4.

I apologise on behalf of the Episerver Education team for not yet replying to the feedback that you submited through the eLearning course. We are looking into how we can improve our response. Since we started offering free eLearning courses to help our customers and partners Come Back Stronger we have had thousands of people new to Episerver sign up for almost 10,000 courses. We do not have a dedicated person to check the email inbox for feedback and so it's got quite full. I have asked the team to hunt for your specific feedback and forward it on to me and the course owner so we can respond properly about working with Azure Pipelines. 

Episerver Education is aware that the Developing for DXC Service course needs an update. It was scheduled to get one earlier this year but the pandemic has forced us to push those plans back to later this year.

We plan to split the course into three smaller courses to make it easier to keep them independently updated:

• The existing Module A will become a course titled, Introduction to Episerver DXP Service Cloud Hosting for architects, project managers, and so on.
  • The existing Module B will become a course titled, Deploying to Episerver DXP Service Cloud Hosting for developers, DevOps, IT Operations, and so on.
  • The existing Module C will become a course titled, Development Considerations for Episerver Cloud Hosting for developers.

We hope to release these new courses in Q4 2020.

Jun 01, 2020 16:10
Vote:

Hi Simon aka johnv,

The Episerver Education team have found five pieces of feedback that we think you submitted through the eLearning course so we will respond to those directly to you.

Thanks!

Jun 02, 2020 7:17
Vote:

I got some help from a veteran epi dev, and manged to get the alloy to build in azure portal under "deployments" using the classic CI, and also under devlops pipelines.  had to hack the alloy project a bit.  however, now the release deployment fails.  hopefullyl the course will be updated soon.

Edited, Jun 02, 2020 19:38
Vote:

While you're waiting for the course to be updated, you might find this series of blog articles useful: 

https://www.epinova.se/nyheter-och-blogg/utvecklarbloggen/2020/epinova-dxp-deployment-part-1-introduction/

Jun 04, 2020 13:41
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.