Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

New to Episerver

Vote:

Hi all! I've already attended a trainee at Elektropost -Stockholm, and now installed the Episerver on my machine for tests. The default site with content in installation is what I have for starting with. Any suggestions concerning how to start building a new site for reusability in different customer projects? Can I use the default site I got in installation or I should build a new one by myself? Any suggestions, or available sample codes? Best regards, Alireza Helsinki - Finland
Jan 21, 2004 12:17
Vote:

Most people use the demo site as a startingpoint. It is - after all - easier to remove things than building them from scratch. The best start is to get familiar with the different page types, and the corresponding templates (.aspx files.) Most of the complex (if any) code is in the User Controls. The /templates directory might seem overwhelming at first, but look at some of the files, most of them have little or no code. However, they are good starting points for more complex functionality. If you build more general modules for reusing, consider placing them into their own directories, and separate namespaces. This eases separation and deployment of you custom code. Also consider your own (compiled) library projects. You'd then have xcopy deployment of addon modules to the standard EPiServer sample project, and it is easier to incorporate into new versions of the sample site (we regularly ship new versions with new and improved templates.) Code samples can be found under the "Code Samples" menu to the left, and also in the SDK. You are welcome to contribute your own samples.
Jan 21, 2004 16:41
Vote:

Well, 12 months later, I'd like to ask the same question: I have managed to install EPiServer 4.41, and since I am a complete beginner I would like an easy to follow tutorial that shows me how to build a simple site. I know the principles, the framework and some of the components but what is the process? What are the tools I should be using at each step? Thank you in advance. Juan
Feb 16, 2005 18:36
Vote:

Hi. I don't know if you've attended any of the developer courses. If not, you should at start with the course "EPiServer 4 for Developers". Check out this link: http://www.episerver.com/templates/PageWithRightListing____275.aspx Anyway, as a head start, I would recommend the book released last year from Elektropost, called "Developing Solutions with EPiServer". Check out the link below: http://www.episerver.com/templates/PageWithRightListing____335.aspx This book walk you through the sample site step by step, and also walk you through some customizations in this, and alot of other things are covered. Frank :)
Feb 16, 2005 19:12
Vote:

Frank, Thank you for your prompt reply. I have not attended any course yet (Valtech has just signed a partnership agreement with ElektroPost) but I do have the book you refer to. Unfortunately I am not finding the book that easy to follow. Take page 62 as an example: how do I get to the screen shown in figure 4-3 ? How about the screen shown in figure 4-4 (page 65) how do I get there? The 10-page document "Building Web Sites Using the EPiServer Content Framework" is an excellent introduction but I don't know: a) which tools to use to edit a framework defition or a page template (is this going to be MS VS)? b) how to start the project? c) what is the exact process? What comes first, what comes next? Thank you indvance for your time. Juan PS Should I post these questions to the Forum? If the answer is no, then can I use email (this would be more efficient for me)?
Feb 17, 2005 11:44
Vote:

>>Unfortunately I am not finding the book that easy to follow. Take page 62 as an example: how do I get to the screen shown in figure 4-3 ? You should at least know a bit about IIS before you embark on an EPiServer project. That screen is what you get when you right click on a virtual directory used for an application. >>How about the screen shown in figure 4-4 (page 65) how do I get there? that is edit mode - where editors will add the information and create pages based on the templates the developer writes in .net code. you write http://localhost/edit and must have user/pass to login. >a) which tools to use to edit a framework defition or a page template (is this going to be MS VS)? Visual Studio 2003, sql server client tools, notepad, some gfx editing software. b) how to start the project? depends how familiar you are with visual studio... if its the only site you have installed then http://localhost will allow you to brose the site. c) what is the exact process? What comes first, what comes next? really recommend going on the course - all your questions so far will be answered - after that we are all here for specific problems - the learning process you will have to go through with the book and a few cups of coffee. /John
Feb 17, 2005 12:07
Vote:

Hi. I totally agree with John here. Based on your questions, I would recommend attending some of the courses held by Elektropost. If your're not familiar with ASP.NET and C#, you might also want to consider attending a course about these subjects also, as knowledge of this is required for developing in EPiServer. Check course listings in your country for this, or see www.asp.net for more info (http://www.asp.net/Default.aspx?tabindex=7&tabid=40) Frank :)
Feb 17, 2005 13:00
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.