Don't miss out Virtual Happy Hour today (April 26).

Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Load balanced - remote file area does not work

Vote:

Hi

In Episerver 4.x there were a white paper describing how to move the file area to a another server so that all webservers in a load balanced enviroment could access the same file area. I have not found such white paper for cms 5.x and since the file structure has changed I found myself a little bit lost.

My application pool and site is running under an account which is a part of iis_wpg group and exists an all servers with the same username and password. If I delete the folders in my network vpp folder episerver can recreate the pagefiles folder so it seems to have some access but then gives the error message below. The account has modify rights to all folders in vppfolder. In 4.x I also changed a few lines in machine.config (impersonate), but in machine.config for .net 2.0 it seems that the structure of mahine.config has changed so I have not managed to the same there.

Is there a white paper for this or does anyone have any ideas on how to get this to work in CMS 5? Thanks.

Server Error in '/' Application.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

VirtualPathNativeProvider must have modify rights to '\\myserver\vppfolder\PageFiles'
Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: EPiServer.Core.EPiServerException: VirtualPathNativeProvider must have modify rights to '\\myserver\vppfolder\PageFiles'

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below. 

Stack Trace:

[EPiServerException: VirtualPathNativeProvider must have modify rights to '\\myserver\vppfolder\PageFiles']
   EPiServer.Web.Hosting.VirtualPathUnifiedProvider.GetAndValidatePhysicalPathBase(String physicalPath) +330
   EPiServer.Web.Hosting.Versioning.VersioningFileSystem.Init(NameValueCollection config) +107
   EPiServer.Web.Hosting.VirtualPathVersioningProvider..ctor(String name, NameValueCollection configParameters) +198

[TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.]
   System.RuntimeMethodHandle._InvokeConstructor(Object[] args, SignatureStruct& signature, IntPtr declaringType) +0
   System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeConstructor(Object[] args, SignatureStruct signature, RuntimeTypeHandle declaringType) +13
   System.Reflection.RuntimeConstructorInfo.Invoke(BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture) +366
   System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceImpl(BindingFlags bindingAttr, Binder binder, Object[] args, CultureInfo culture, Object[] activationAttributes) +1036
   System.Activator.CreateInstance(Type type, BindingFlags bindingAttr, Binder binder, Object[] args, CultureInfo culture, Object[] activationAttributes) +114
   EPiServer.Web.Hosting.VirtualPathHandler.CreateVirtualPathProviderInstance(ProviderSettings providerSettings) +290
   EPiServer.Web.Hosting.VirtualPathHandler.InitializeProviders(ProviderSettingsCollection providers) +178
   EPiServer.Global.InitializeVirtualPathProviders() +117
   EPiServer.Global.StaticInitialization() +62
   EPiServer.Global.Global_BeginRequest(Object sender, EventArgs e) +119
   System.Web.SyncEventExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute() +92
   System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously) +64

Oct 17, 2008 9:40
Vote:

Make sure that all NetworkService (or whatever account you are running your application pool as) accounts have modify rights. Even though you use same username/password, the users have different SIDs.
Oct 17, 2008 9:43
Vote:

Hi Thomas, thanks for your answer

The account is created separetly for this and is a member of "users" and "iiswpg" on both servers with the same username and password.  Today a episerver 4.x installation is using the same account on the same servers successfully. I have even tried to give "everyone" full access to the folders without success. Since episerver can recreate the pagefile folder if I delete it I guess it have some access to the folders, but then it fails. Is there anything I have missed?

Oct 17, 2008 13:18
Vote:

It may be an issue with having VPP folders on a UNC path, but Im not sure - maybe someone else can fill in?
Oct 17, 2008 17:27
Vote:

We tried really hard to get this to work but failed. The only way to solve it was to use a domain user, not a local account.

/Fredrik, Internetfabriken

Oct 20, 2008 8:03
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.