Don't miss out Virtual Happy Hour this Friday (April 26).

Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Moving asp.net web app to EPiServer platform

Vote:

Hi Guys,

We have an existing asp.net web application and we are currently moving it to an EPiServer platform to take advantage of the community, CMS and personalisation.

My question is, should we retain our relational database (MSSQL) or recreate it again in EPiServer (DDS)?

The site has a lot of data with 8000+ users. The database has 42 tables and 126 stored procedures.

I'm leaning more on reusing the database and just focus more on optimising it instead of having to redo it all over again in EPiServer.

Normally, what do you do given this scenario?

Any thoughts, comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

Aug 24, 2011 2:43
Vote:

Always depends, but adding everything to DDS might not be such a good idea. For the users you can use a custom Membership and Role provider, for other data you might consider using Page Providers (technote: http://world.episerver.com/Documentation/Items/Tech-Notes/EPiServer-CMS-6/EPiServer-CMS-60/Page-Providers/).

Hard to tell without knowing more about the data :), but from my experience some data is easier moved over to EPiServer while other is better left where it is now and integrated with EPiServer through any of it's extension points (Page Providers, Content Channels etc).

Hope this helps.

Frederik

Edited, Aug 24, 2011 8:28
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.